Form Listbox problems on a Mac

dcoons

Board Regular
Trying to convert a few spreadsheets originally written for PCs using activex controls to something that will run on both a Mac and PC. I have successfully converted to form controls, and have a version that will function properly on both types of computer...sort of.

There seems to be significant differences in functionality for listboxes for the Mac and PC that impact one in particular. On a PC, the number of lines of data for display can be specified, on a Mac, it cannot. The dropdown for the listbox stays open and includes a scrollbar when necessary on a PC, on a Mac, it does neither. It does have up and down arrows on each end of the list which don't operate smoothly, and the list display doesn't scroll smoothly nor update properly. I think this is due to the length of the data input range, which is long enough so that the list dropdown exceeds the height of the main window in Excel on a mac. After using the scroll arrows, you sort of have to move the mouse up and down over the list a few times after scrolling before the data in the window displays correctly.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to "encourage" the mac to act like a pc with regard to listboxes (scrollbars, limit the length of the display)? Is there a secret key combo that will keep the listbox open? I think it will operate properly with a plain list instead of a listbox, but for this application I would have to rearrange quite a few things to gain the necessary real estate--and it's a bit more 'clunky'.

I'm a mac dilettante, so assuming there is something fairly obvious I'm missing.

Thanks for help/thoughts.

Dale

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back