Format a cell on whether a plain number is entered or the number is the result of a typed formula.

Khalabeeb

Hi all,

I am currently looking to apply a conditional formatting for this specific situation:

- If I enter a plain value in a cell, let's say "10", the cell is colored red

- If I enter the same value but via a formula calculation, let's say "=2*5" or "=A3*B4" with A3=2 and B4=5, I would like the cell to be colored in yellow.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Put this condition, to test A1:

=ISNA(FORMULATEXT(A1)) Will color if the cell was typed out.
=NOT(ISNA(FORMULATEXT(A1))) Will color if the cell has a formula

Upvote 0
Hi dave,

Thanks for the help! It works but I have one question in regards to your answer:

- The formula applies to the "A1" cell. How would I do if I wanted the whole sheet, or a big part of it, to function under this rule? Because copy/pasting the formula for every cell would be really time consuming.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
highlight all the cells u want to format condintionally (select the cells starting from the top left of what you want, so that the top-left most cell is active (selected, but the color is white as opposed to the other selected cells). open conditional format and make a new rule. add the formula. make sure you change the A1 to the top-left most cell in your selection.

Option 2: under manage rules (under conditional formating in the home ribbon) u can change the "applies to" field next to your rule, and update it to refrence the block of cells that u need to format.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy_M

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back