Formula Disappears Once It Calculates

kdavidtaylor

Hi. I'm new to Excel, using Office Professional Plus (2013). Within my spreadsheet, I have a series of progressive dates to be used in as a timeline. Ultimately, what I need to accomplish is that when I change one date, all the proceeding entries update according to my timeline criteria (in this case 3 weeks or 21 days). I created a SUM formula that worked but only calculated one time. Once the calculation completes, the cell drops the formula. I need this to be constant as the dates often change. How do I get the formula to maintain? Further more, is there a better method to accomplish the task at hand other than the SUM option? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Once the calculation completes, the cell drops the formula

Please elaborate, the formula doesn't normally get dropped. The cell shows the result but the formula is still there. When you click on the cell is the formula not showing in the formula bar (above your cells it has a fx sign next to it).
Is your calculation set to automatic?

Upvote 0
The formula literally disappears. The formula bar only shows the contents of the cell and when I make changes to said cell, nothing happens - there is no formula. Yes, automatic is set.

Upvote 0
Afraid it's behaviour I haven't come across (at least to my memory) unless there is worksheet.code. I take it that there isn't?
Is it only happening to certain cells and/or only the one sheet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, it's really weird. Additionally, this is a new Windows 8 machine with a new office installation, and a new spreadsheet. I enter the same formula is all the necessary cells. I make a change to one cell, it affects all the others (as it should) but the formula doesn't stick for only the action cell. Now, if I move on to the next cell and make a change to the data, the formula for said cell will work but only once; it then disappears. This goes on for any cell I add the formula. I can't find a resolution or explanation anywhere... it's a just a simple SUM. Thanks for the reply. Should you think of something, please let me know.

Upvote 0
It sound like you have some VBA event code that is replacing the formula with its value.
Hi. I'm new to Excel, using Office Professional Plus (2013). Within my spreadsheet, I have a series of progressive dates to be used in as a timeline. Ultimately, what I need to accomplish is that when I change one date, all the proceeding entries update according to my timeline criteria (in this case 3 weeks or 21 days). I created a SUM formula that worked but only calculated one time. Once the calculation completes, the cell drops the formula. I need this to be constant as the dates often change. How do I get the formula to maintain? Further more, is there a better method to accomplish the task at hand other than the SUM option? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I enter the same formula is all the necessary cells. I make a change to one cell, it affects all the others (as it should) but the formula doesn't stick for only the action cell.

That sounds almost as though you are typing into the formula cell? Or do you have formulas in the header row of a table?

Upvote 0
I start out with a new empty spreadsheet. No code at all, entirely empty cells. Add a date to a couple cells in this format: 7/10/2013. Add a basic SUM formula to calculate the change of proceeding dates should a change be made to the former. Change a date. The formula works. Change the date again, nothing. The formula is gone.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back