Formula or Function to Find "blank cells" with " ' "; Replace with true Blank Cells

Hollando

Board Regular
Hello all,

Although, I was working this into a Macro, I was wondering if anyone had a non-vba solution as well? Basically, I have cells with " ' " due to an extract from our ERP system here at the office. As you can imagine this is quite irritating.

My question: Is there a way to identify cells with " ' ", the remove the " ' " to create a true blank cell.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Hollando

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
In my testing, if there is just a single quote mark, and nothing else in the cell, "Find and Replace" does not seem to identify it/remove it.
However, if all your entries are text, you can use "Data -> Text To Columns" to remove them (caveat: you can only do one column at a time).

Just perform the following steps:
1. Highlight your column
2. From the Data menu, select Text to Columns
3. Click "Next" twice to get to Step 3.
4. Select the "Text" radio button
5. Click "Finish"

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, even with the Match entire cell contents checked off I can't get the desired effect.
Yep, I found that too. Did you try my suggestion above (post #5)?

Upvote 0
In my testing, if there is just a single quote mark, and nothing else in the cell, "Find and Replace" does not seem to identify it/remove it.
However, if all your entries are text, you can use "Data -> Text To Columns" to remove them (caveat: you can only do one column at a time).

Just perform the following steps:
1. Highlight your column
2. From the Data menu, select Text to Columns
3. Click "Next" twice to get to Step 3.
4. Select the "Text" radio button
5. Click "Finish"

This worked great!

Now before I create a new thread what if say in columns A, B, C, D, E and F I have a character string that leads with '? Some of these strings are Alpha some are Numeric. The cell format is currently General, so I believe for the Numeric cells I can convert to numbers. Unfortunately, some of the Numeric columns represent UPCs and with UPCs you can have a leading Zero. If that is the case converting to Numbers may do more harm than good.

So basically my ask is how can a rid a cell of the ' when one of the following scenerios has occured 'xxxxxx or '12345678 or '012345678.

Upvote 0
If you choose the format as "Text" (step #4), all leading zeroes will be kept. The only caveat is any value entered as a numeric will change to text (those the characters should not change).
As long as you aren't doing any mathemcatical function on those values, that hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

Otherwise, you might have to go with a different approach (VBA perhaps).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back