Formula Question

RVelle

Hello,

Having an issue, currently using Excel 2016, formula's only work when I overwrite a concatenated formula by manually updating those fields with the exact same data that was being auto populated.

I am using this as a small database, for 800 numbers, concatenating the base 800 numbers with a leading "1" infront of them, then using the concatenated field to do vlookups against PBX data to pull that in for easier reference. When I leave the concatenated data in the cells, the vlookups remain blank (no data/no errors at all), if I instead manually write data in the field that had the concatenate in it, the same data it was populating (ie 18001112222), that row of VLookups kick off as normal and all data good (all formulas are set to auto, and I have tried to also run them with Calc now, with no change, formats all set to General).

example:
A1: 8001112222
B1: =concatenate("1",A1)
C1: =VLOOKUP($B1,'PBX'!$A$3:$R$6001,2,FALSE)

*real C1 formula which again works fine only if I manually update B1: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($AV4,'PBX Data'!$A$3:$R$6001,'Production 800s'!AW$2,FALSE)),"",IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP($AV4,'PBX Data'!$A$3:$R$6001,'Production 800s'!AW$2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP($AV4,'PBX Data'!$A$3:$R$6001,'Production 800s'!AW$2,FALSE)))

If I manually update B1 to 18001112222, C1 populates as it should, if I leave B1 with the formula, C1 remains blank.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

RVelle

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Concatenate returns a text string, so try
=CONCATENATE(1,A1)*1

Upvote 0
That worked, thanks much!

Is that something newer after excel v2010? I have never done it that way prior and they always worked.

Thanks again

RVelle

Upvote 0
As far as I'm aware the concatenate function has always returned a text value, but it's not something I've used much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back