Formula that would roll forward the amount (netting the amounts)

jeongs1

So, with a help from great excel experts in this forum, I was able to get the formula that would give me the results for STEP 1. Now, I need help for STEP 2. F

or an example, I want ABC's Session 2 for Feb-17 to be the net value of from both Jan-17 and Feb-17, which would equal to ZERO. Then for Mar-17, ABC's Session 2 would become 12.

Another example would be for ABC's Session 3 for Feb-17 would be 230, netting/accumulating both Jan and Feb. Then for Mar-17, it would become 242, all of Jan, Feb, and Mar.

I feel like "<="&EOMONTH should be used somewhere, but not quite sure how and where I would insert it... Greatly appreciate any help!!!

A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
1​
17-Jan17-Feb17-Mar
2​
ABCSession 1-50
3​
ABCSession 2-151512
4​
ABCSession 33020012
5​
BCDSession 1400-300
6​
BCDSession 2-50100150
7​
BCDSession 3-50
8​
CDESession 116300
9​
CDESession 25010015
10​
CDESession 390-105

<tbody>
</tbody>

A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
H​
I​
J​
12​
Input Sheet
13​
17-Jan​
17-Feb​
17-Mar​
14​
Session 1Session 2Session 3Session 1Session 2Session 3Session 1Session 2Session 3
15​
ABC-1530-50152001212
16​
BCD400-50100-50-300150
17​
CDE165090300100-10155

<tbody>
</tbody>

B15=INDEX($C$2:$E$10,MATCH($A15,$A$2:$A$10,0)+MATCH(B$14,$B$2:$B$4,0)-1,MATCH(B$13,$C$1:$E$1,0))

I tried, but it still gave me the same result. Is there a way to do it with the formula I mentioned earlier?
=INDEX($C$2:$E$10,MATCH($A15,$A$2:$A$10,0)+MATCH(B$14,$B$2:$B$4,0)-1,MATCH(B$13,$C$1:$E$1,0))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I tried, but it still gave me the same result. Is there a way to do it with the formula I mentioned earlier?
=INDEX($C$2:$E$10,MATCH($A15,$A$2:$A$10,0)+MATCH(B$14,$B$2:$B$4,0)-1,MATCH(B$13,$C$1:$E$1,0))

Before trying to get another formula working, we have to figure out why the suggested formula (from post #8) is not working for you. After we accomplish that, we can try to make adjustments to your formula and see if we can get that working.

The only thing that I can think of is that you have an issue being caused by the dates. Referring to post #8, all of the dates are the first of the month (i.e. Jan-17 = 1/1/2017)

If your regional settings are m/d/y then Feb-17 = 2/1/2017
If your regional settings are d/m/y then Feb-17 = 1/2/2017

Again, start off by getting the suggested formula from post #8 working on the exact data from post #8 in a separate worksheet.

Upvote 0
now, my manager wants to know if there's a way we can do it with the formula that I've mentioned earlier. Thank you

Upvote 0
now, my manager wants to know if there's a way we can do it with the formula that I've mentioned earlier. Thank you

That's odd that your manager wants a different formula when you have one that works just fine.

INDEX MATCH formulas return a single result after matching values. INDEX MATCH is not a summation formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah.. not sure why but she wants to know if the other formula can be worked out.... Thank you! I'll be looking forward for your response!

Upvote 0
Yeah.. not sure why but she wants to know if the other formula can be worked out.... Thank you! I'll be looking forward for your response!

I don't believe that it can be modified to be used for what you are trying to do here since it is not a summation formula.

Here is another formula that works:

=SUM(IF(($A$2:$A$10=$A15)*($B$2:$B$10=B$14)*($C$1:$E$1<=B$13),$C$2:$E$10)) Ctrl Shift Enter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OMG!!!! Awesome! Thank you!
Now.. one last stupid/dumb question... Since I'm doing "ctrl shift enter", dragging the formula down doesn't copy the formula. Is there a way to do it rather than doing "ctrl shift enter" to every cells??

Upvote 0
OMG!!!! Awesome! Thank you!
Now.. one last stupid/dumb question... Since I'm doing "ctrl shift enter", dragging the formula down doesn't copy the formula. Is there a way to do it rather than doing "ctrl shift enter" to every cells??

You're welcome.

You only have to hit Ctrl Shift Enter once. This will automatically put {curly brackets} around the formula.

Then you drag the formula down as you would any other formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back