Formula to find first blank row in range

DeeEmmEss

A monthly workbook contains a worksheet for each day with a section that contains a differing number of rows each day. I have an array formula which finds the first blank row in a range:- {=MIN(IF(R7:R50="",ROW(R7:R50)))} and wish to include it as part of several other formulas on same sheet. I need to include this as occassionally the range overlaps onto the next section and can include results from next section and fudge the figures: =COUNTIFS(T7:T50,"1st") & "/" &COUNTA(T7:T50) =SUM(COUNTIFS(T7:T50,{"2nd","3rd"})) & "/" &COUNTA(T7:T50) are two examples which work adequately but I wish to tidy them up. I have tried every combination - except the correct one - frustration level has risen and before the laptop gets binned your help will be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hello,

Not sure to understand your problem ...

But probably the Indirect() function should help you out ...

HTH

Upvote 0
Yes, but that's what I've had trouble implementing. Could you suggest how it would fit in the formula, thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello,

With your array formula producing the first blank row located say in cell A1 ...

You could test =COUNTIFS(T7:Indirect("T"&A1),"1st") & "/" &COUNTA(T7:Indirect("T"&A1))

HTH

Upvote 0
If I have understood correctly, here is another way without needing the volatile function INDIRECT

=COUNTIF(T7:INDEX(T7:T50,A1-ROW(T7)+1),"1st")&"/"&COUNTA(T7:INDEX(T7:T50,A1-ROW(T7)+1))

I have highlighted the two "+1"s in the formula. If you are only checking up to the row before the first blank row in column R, then those "+1"s wouldn't be needed. I included them just so my formula matched the range in the previously suggested formulas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnfromHGT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back