FV, IRR, XIRR Return Differing Investment Results - Why?

delunatic

I need to present to others a proposal on investing in some equities and bond funds and discovered that different functions return different results using the same parameters. FV, XIRR, and IRR, and the differences are not small. Here's a test spreadsheet I made that demonstrates the problem. https://drive.google.com/file/d/16SKB2BRc_1Dq05vHyN4yyKNBNTI_Rn-q/view?usp=sharing
Anyone have some feedback? Background info and questions are in the spreadsheet. Thanks, guys and gals. David

I'm still deciphering the array formula you wrote. Cool stuff. Can't thank you enough!

You're welcome! Glad to hear that you're using the formulas as a learning opportunity, not just a turnkey solution. That's the best way to improve our knowledge, IMHO.

All the above detail and much more is at https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/view-all/61747T106 [....] Tell me you think of it.

I think it would be inappropriate for me to comment, especially since any such discussion strays far outside this forum's focus.

But I appreciate the pointer. It has raised some questions that I will use as a learning opportunity.

when I delete all withdrawals so I only show the initial $350k and the ending balance which is derived with the FV formula, the percentage return remains constant

That should come as no surprise: the rate of return (22.48%) is an input parameter for both of the Excel FV and Excel XIRR calculations. And we use the Excel FV result to drive the Excel IRR model. So we expect the Excel IRR result to be 22.48%.

But okay: yes, it does demonstrate that we did not make any unintended assumptions in the formulas, like hardcode the withdrawal.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smiqer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back