generating random integers that are correlated and summed to equal a given value

iotapsi321

Hello. I am a novice at excel and have spent more time than I'd like to admit searching for a solution to my question. I want to create a fake dataset for two variables and I alos want to calculate Chronbach's alpha (i.e., reliability score) of those items. I need this information because I will be teaching research methods and I've found that students get a better understanding of stats/methods concepts when they have an applied example.

I want to create a variable that is measured with 6 items (likert-type scale; so a number for each column) with items 1-5 having a range of 1-7 and the 6th item having a range of 1-10. When the items are summed the variable scores can range from 6-45. I would also like to change these values depending on a desired Chronbach's alpha level, such as .7, .2, or even 1.0. The second variable is 12 items than range from 1-5.

I failed miserably at doing this on my own. I tried using the randbetween function and multiplying each value by .7 (a predefined alpha level) and hoped the numbers would come close to a pre-defined summed value. I'm not certain of everyone's expertise so I'll state my problem based on some common language I've seen while searching for a solution. I want to generate random integers in columns A1 - A6 that are intercorrelated so that these integers will equal the number in cell A8.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be really clear. Thank you for time.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Welcome to the forum!

I have summed random numbers to a set a number in the past. Those were decimal numbers so I would have to look into doing it for integer if you like. I can look for my past example if it will help. In the meantime, an example before and after might help. Free sites like dropbox.com can be used to post a link to the example file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is how I did it in the past.

'http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forum/help-forums/excel-general/145017-generate-an-array-with-positive-integers-that-sum-to-a-specified-value?t=200724
If you want to use formulas for say 5 numbers to sum to 30:

A1:A5 and down: =RAND()
B1:B4: =ROUND(A1/SUM($A$1:$A$5)*30,0)
B5: = 30-SUM(A1:A4)

This method can over round sometimes depending on the sum's value. That can be fixed with a few more formula adjustments.

Copy and paste as values to keep number from changing for calculation events or change calculation mode to manual.

Upvote 0
I want to generate random integers in columns A1 - A6 that are intercorrelated so that these integers will equal the number in cell A8.
Given the constraint that each has a maximum value (5 or 10), it would be easy enough to just iterate through the 5^5 * 10 = 31,250 permutations and pick one at random that meets the desired total.

Then you want to pick another set (one other set?) that has a given alpha to the first one chosen?

Where does the second (12-element) variable come in?

What does "intercorrelated" mean? Does it mean, for example, that if the first three questions are answered "strongly agree" it's unlikely that question 4 would be answered "strongly disagree?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbito

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back