Grid Formula: Index, Choose & Match function (utilizing named arrays) across multiple sheets possible

Kernkraft

Board Regular
Below is my formula. Several of Aladdin's and Domenic's posts inspired this.

What I was trying to accomplish:

Create a grid formula that would allow me to find a specific value at a given point in time based on user defined inputs.... but across multiple sheets.

In my case, I've written a macro that downloads daily settlements for four exchange traded energy commodities and then parses the data out on to four separate sheets. I then wanted a central page where people in our organization could select the commodity, select the date (or dates and choose to graph certain ones or others - but that's a separate issue) and layer in appropriate data accordingly for whatever analysis, etc. Granted Bloomberg can do this, but our business can't afford that system. We have Reuters - however, it does not have the ability to look back at a forward curve at a given point in history - neither can eSignal's Futuresource. So I set about creating this in excel.

What I did:
- Insert a combo box, create the appropriate list on a separate page, and using that cell link (Prices!$J$2), use the Choose function to select the appropriate array within the Index function and then Match as appropriate as seen below find the appropriate price for a given date.
- I also named the arrays on each sheet, 3 per sheet, 4 sheets, so 12 in all (Ctrl+F3)... row referencing array, column referencing array, and of course the main referencing array.

This wasn't elaborate and doesn't match up anywhere to some of the elaborate solutions some have come up with here on this website, but I'm happy with my results and wanted to share.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
611/8/20102.39772.41982.4331
HO_Forward_Curve

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbito

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back