Help creating a pop-up message when data is entered into a cell

eduncan

I use an Excel spread sheet to sort and analyze info from Survey Monkey. I download the data from survey monkey and copy and paste it into my spread sheet to convert most of the data into a Word document.

I used to get a pop up message when I input the data if a certain cell said "yes", but I've adjusted the sheet a few times and somehow lost that pop-up function in the process.

I tried to recreate it using data validation but it only works when I manually type something into that cell. It doesn't give me the pop-up when I paste the data into all cells at once.

Am I doing this wrong? Or is there another way aside from the Data Validation function to get Excel to give me a pop-up when a certain cell contains data? Could I do it with a Countif formula, maybe..?

To summarize: I want to get a pop-up message any time a specific cell is not blank.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Welcome to the Board!

Copying/pasting to cells override any data validation that you have set-up (that is one of the limitations of it).
What you want to do may require VBA. You can have VBA automatically pop-up messages based on input in certain cells.

If VBA is an acceptable solution, please provide the exact details of what you want to happen, and which cells it should happen to.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick response!
Yes VBA would work well, but I'm not at all familiar with those codes.
I'd love some guidance!

When I paste the info into my sheet, I want a pop-up alert/information box that says, "blah blah blah" when there is data in Cell "BO3".

Upvote 0
Would you like this code to run anytime any data is pasted anywhere in the sheet (checking "BO3"), or do you only want it to run if the value in "BO3" is updated (so updates to any other cell wouldn't trigger the code to run)?

Upvote 0
Right-click on the sheet tab name at the bottom of the screen, select "View Code", and paste this VBA code in the resulting VB Editor Window:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Range("BO3") <> "" Then
        MsgBox "There is data in cell BO3"
    End If
End Sub
Then, any time any cell on the sheet is manually updated (whether by direct entry or by copy/paste), if there is data in cell BO3, the message box will pop up.
You can change the text of the MsgBox to anything you like.

Upvote 0
This worked perfectly. Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!

(DUH me. The code was already there, but for the wrong cell due to my recent edits. It didn't even occur to me to check!)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back