Help needed - cell reference in array formula

ridgeway1721

Hi all,

Just joined and would be grateful for help with the following excel formula issue that I am running into. When using an array formula, is it possible to include cell references instead of actual words or numbers? If not, what is the best work-around to make the formula more dynamic, so that it can pull from a cell reference?

The current formula I am working with is below.

{=SUM(('Employee only data'!$AO$2:$AO$40000="HR")*('Employee only data'!$AU$1:$AU$40000="9017963")*'Employee only data'!$AT$2:$AT$40000)}

I would like to replace "HR" and "9017963" with cell references (e.g., $D2 and B$3) that contain these words / values to make the equation more dynamic.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I got an #N/A sign. The problem appears to be the 9017963 number. When I stick that into the equation or reference the cell that has it, it doesn't compute. I have a number of these different 7-digit numbers, based on a column in my data set where each row is labeled with one of them (and where multiple rows have the same 7-digit number). Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Is the SUM array formula able to read a number like this?

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
This is probably because AU contains text numbers, and you entered a real number in B3

{=SUM(('Employee only data'!$AO$2:$AO$40000="HR")*('Employee only data'!$AU$1:$AU$40000="9017963")*'Employee only data'!$AT$2:$AT$40000)}
......>
{=SUM(('Employee only data'!$AO$2:$AO$40000=$D2)*('Employee only data'!$AU$1:$AU$40000=text(B$3,"0")*'Employee only data'!$AT$2:$AT$40000)}

However, I have a feeling you could do this with SUMIFS()....

=SUMIFS('Employee only data'!$AT$2:$AT$40000, 'Employee only data'!$AO$2:$AO$40000, $D2, 'Employee only data'!$AU$1:$AU$40000, $B2)
(You may still need to add the TEXT() bit)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whatdoido

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back