Help Needed with simplifying

gdrowell

Is there a way to use the Countif function (or any function) to look up a range of criteria?

Example:

If i had a range of numbers (with repeating values), I would want to know How many times a range of numbers appear.

Right now I use =COUNTIF(A1:A100, "20"), if i wanted to see how many times "20" appears.

What i am looking for is a Function equation that can lookup multiple numbers in a range, then you the COUNT function to give me a total number of appearance ( i.e. How many time numbers 20-50, appear in the range of numbers)

Any help would be appreciated

CELL F9=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A9+0,D1:D9,0)))

WILL EQUAL 9
It doesn't for me, see below, but you haven't answered my questions and your data and layout seem to have changed significantly.

We started off looking at 3 cells only (A9:A11) and were counting how many times those numbers appeared in F2:F11 (refer to your formula in post 7)
Now we seem to have numbers in A1:A9 and I presume what was in column F is now in column D?

I'm now also unsure of exactly what you are trying to count and where. :confused: Hard to follow when things keep changing.
BUT I WANT IT SHOW 5
Can you explain clearly in words exactly how you come up with that number? On the face of it, it could simply be how may cells in column D contain numbers.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
Counting (3)

You have told me that all cells are number formatted. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me if the values in them are numbers or text as you can still have text in a cell that is formatted as number.
If you put these in two vacant cells, what do they return?
=ISNUMBER(A3)
=ISNUMBER(D3)

In post 11 you indicated that the values in column F (presumably now column D) came from formulas & in post 17 I asked if we could see one of those formulas but you haven't provided that.
Do the column A values also come from formulas? If so, could we also see one of those formulas?

i TRIED TO ATTACH MY ORIGINAL FILE
The forum does not allow file attachments. However you can give copyable data and formulas like I have above. There are several ways to do that & my signature block below has a link with those options.

iF YOU WOULD LIKE TO EXCHANGE EMAILS, I CAN SEND YOU THE WORKBOOK VIA EMAIL.
That is against the Forum Rules which you should have a read of, particularly number 4 about this issue.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
My sincerest apology. I did not mean to violate. I have fully read the rules, and will not violate again. . . .

Thank you so very much for your assistance. I do apologize for being confusing as well

When i get back to my workbook, ill send the other formulas

Thanks agaih

Upvote 0
ANOTHER USER ERROR (DOH!!!)

After looking at your example again, I see that i had the array ranges backwards in my workbook from what i posted.

I had

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
F9=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(D1:D9+0,A1:A9,0)))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
This gave me 9, because it counted the Blanks as zeros. . . .

After changing it around, i got the correct value i was looking for.

:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back