Help to find a formula with 2 known values that need to be matched exactly to find the value of another value but contains a date range

samickelson01

I'm not an Excel expert and my HelpDesk hasn't been able to figure it out either so I searched for experts, and this forum came up! Here is my issue:

I'm trying to solve for the cell "????" below. The 2 cells above it are entered so I'm trying to find the July 2018 row that has the date 7/25/19 in it.

7/25/19 falls in July 2018 Term 4, August 2018 Term 3, and October 2018 Term 3 but I need that cell to look at A1 and A2 and populate with the corresponding Term (Term 4 in this example).

I've tried to use INDEX MATCH, and IFLOOKUP, and INDEX MATCH IF and I can't seem to find the right combination to consistently return the correct result.

Any ideas on a formula??

July 2018
July 2018
Term 3
3/6/19
7/17/19
7/25/19
July 2018
Term 4
7/22/19
11/20/19
????
August 2018
Term 2
12/15/18
4/10/19
August 2018
Term 3
4/11/19
9/10/19
October 2018
Term 2
3/9/19
6/5/19
October 2018
Term 3
6/8/19
10/14/19

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry, but I do not understand what you want to look for, where you want to look for it and what you expect from the result.

You can put the data with rows and columns, maybe you can upload your file with the examples.
You could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry, but I do not understand what you want to look for, where you want to look for it and what you expect from the result.

You can put the data with rows and columns, maybe you can upload your file with the examples.
You could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

I did enter my file example but I see that it made the first row bold but that is not intended to be the header row.

Upvote 0
You can not upload files here, so the comment to upload it to dropbox.
Or explain in more detail what you need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpm23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back