Help wanted for initial catalogue database design

Gold_Ninja

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to look at this, I hope I can explain it well . . .

I am trying to build a 'catalogue' database to assist pricing of large bolted assemblies.

I have a list of about 500 parts, such as 12mm bolt, 12mm nut, 1m girder etc.

I would like to be able to create & save sub-assemblies. These are collections of parts. An example sub-assembly might be: "1m A-Frame". Contains: 24 x 12mm Bolt, 24 x 12mm Nut, 6 x 1m Girder.

Finally the overall job/quote would be a collection of sub-assemblies.

Here's a screen shot of the current solution in Excel.

2rh4ugx.jpg

I would like for my users to be able to put together a quote by choosing from a list of Sub-assemblies (or creating a new one if necessary), and have it produce something like the above Excel sheet.

My question is: how do I go about storing the sub-assemblies? Some will have more than 100 parts.
Should I create a table with one field for "Sub-Assembly Name" followed by ~200 fields to store the parts (Plus another ~200 for storing each part's quantity)?

Any design advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Sounds like a many-to-many relationship.

A sub-assembly can have many parts and a part can be used in many sub-assemblies.

If that's right you should have a table for sub-assemblies, a table for parts and a 'junction' table to link the two.

The 'junction' table would have at least 2 fields, one for sub-assembly primary key and one for the part primary key.

So for a sub-assembly with 200 parts there would be 200 records in the 'junction' table, each with the sub-assembly primary key and the primary key for a part.

That should take care of the sub-assembly/parts relationship and get you started.

There are probably a similar relationship between job/quote and sub assemblies, so the table setup would be similar.

Upvote 0
Norie, Thanks for the help, I used your suggestion to get the sub-assemblies working perfectly.

I imagine that I will be able to create the job tables using a similar method.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JablesFTW

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back