Help with Interactive Dashboard - Show both current and previous months data (Newbie)

smedleyuk

This is my first post, so Hi everyone!! I have been using this forum for a few weeks but have never asked a question so here goes.

I have been tasked with creating an interactive dashboard for my organisation, which covers workforce data. I want to create a table of KPI's, which updates depending on the month selected. Now I don't have a problem with this as I am quite familiar with pivot tables and slicers, but there is a particular column I need to include which has got me stuck.

Basically the table is arranged so that rows reference the KPI metric and columns reference the department name. As well as department name, I want to include a column for the overall figure (org wide) and in next column showi the same KPI's, but for the previous month i.e. to show trend.

I'm ok with the overall figure for the month selected, however I am not sure what I need to do in Excel to show the data for the previous month, and how this could be updated depending on the months selected. For example, when December is selected you would see the overall figure for December and in the adjacent column the overall figure for November.

My source data is coming from a table, and I plan to use pivot tables and formula to calculate the KPI. The actual KPI Figures do not appear in my source data. For example I have a column showing total staff in post (SIP), and another showing agreed budget (WTE). Using these I can then use formula to show Vacancy %. KPI

Anyway, I am yet to build the dashboard so any pointers or suggestions about how I might be able to show the current and previous month in the same table, as well as being able to refresh this data depending on the month selected would be really helpful as I'm a bit lost on this one.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Craig

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
col dcol ecol f
row 5D9E9F9
DEF
MONTHkpi1kpi2kpi3APRMAR
row 9DEPT1JAN80.077.044.09AUGJUL
DEPT2JAN87.079.047.0DECNOV
DEPT3JAN82.082.046.0FEBJAN
DEPT1FEB82.479.345.3JANDEC
DEPT2FEB89.681.448.4JULJUN
DEPT3FEB84.584.547.4JUNMAY
DEPT1MAR85.082.047.0MARFEB
DEPT2MAR93.084.051.0MAYAPR
row 17DEPT3MAR88.088.050.017NOVOCT
OCTSEP
row 19D17E17F17SEPAUG
enter dept nameDEPT24D
enter monthMAR5E
prev monthFEB6F
the dept name and selected month
are pulled from user input areakpi1D9D17
kpi2E9E17
DEPT2FEBMARCHANGE %kpi3F9F17
kpi189.693.03.78
kpi281.484.03.23
kpi348.451.05.35
once some helper reference tables are set up on the right
you can pull any info totally automatically from the main data table
in the table above 89.6 is derived from
=SUMPRODUCT(($B$9:$B$17=$B$30)*($C$9:$C$17=C$30)*(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($B31,kpitable,2)):INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($B31,kpitable,3))))

<colgroup><col><col span="14"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back