Help With Making Web Query Dynamic Using VBA

Protectyaneck1

So here is my dilemma, I am attempting to make my Zip Code Workbook dynamic with a web query, but am missing something.

I have two Worksheets:
Worksheet 1- "Zip Codes" which has a complete list of every zip code in CA, with a "Command Button" inserted in with the goal to use a specific zip code "E3" as a reference in the query.

Worksheet 2- "Web Query" is the sheet that my webquery is connected to. I have changed the external data range properties name to "Zip Code"
Attached is the link to the website in question, with a search, with the goal to pull the table with the information: zip, county, population, etc...
SearchBug - ZIP Code Lookup

-Problem- It appears when I click the the "Command Button", the web query gets refreshed, however, the macro is not correctly applying the "zip code" to the end of the URL correctly.

VBA Project for CommandButton1

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

getzipcodes zipcode = Range("E3").Value

End Sub

Module1 for Web Query

Public Sub getzipcodes(byvalzipcode As String)

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Web Query").QueryTables("Zip Code").Connection = "url;http://www.searchbug.com/tools/zip-code-lookup.aspx?TYPE=zip2city&ZIP=" & zipcode

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Web Query").QueryTables("Zip Code").Refresh

End Sub

I am new to VBA's and Macros, so I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Sorry for the delayed response. but thanks for the response! Even bigger thanks for the links to the VBA training links. So awesome!!

Upvote 0
Did you copy this code directly from your project? If so the error lies with the variable "zipcode" or rather "byvalzipcode":
Code:
Public Sub getzipcodes([COLOR=#ff0000]byvalzipcode [/COLOR]As String) [COLOR=#008000]'There should be a space: "[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]ByVal zipcode[/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]" or delete "[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]ByVal [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]" all together, it is not needed.[/COLOR]

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Web Query").QueryTables("Zip Code").Connection = "url;http://www.searchbug.com/tools/zip-code-lookup.aspx?TYPE=zip2city&ZIP=" & [COLOR=#ff0000]zipcode[/COLOR]

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Web Query").QueryTables("Zip Code").Refresh

End Sub
The code "thinks" your variable is called "byvalzipcode" when in fact you are using only "zipcode".
So "zipcode" would be empty, while "byvalzipcode" would hold your value (zip-code), but obviously isn't used in your code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back