Help With Serial Number Sequential Orders in a Multiple Serial Number doc

brsnyder1

I have a document that I track multiple serial numbers of reports. The trick is that reports initiated by our company have a unique serial number (N00164-18-0001) and reports that are initiated by outside users have a different serial number so the excel spreadsheet has mixed reports going down the list. When I initiate a new report, I have to go back through all the report numbers and verify the next sequential report serial number (N00164-18-0002). I want to make a "Next Report Serial Number" next to my table and I'm looking to see if there is a way to sequentially be able to see what the next report number should be. I only need to track our companies next report serial number. I hope this makes sense and someone has the answer on how to sequentially generate the next serial number even if the report numbers have different serial numbers mixed in with them. Thank you!

I have other serial numbers mixed in with these numbers so A4 might not be a N00164-18 serial number. This is why I'm trying to create a seperate box that has the next serial number for N00164 reports so I don't have to go back through the entire list to try to find the last N00164 number

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
This is what I'm looking for but for some reason (probably because im excel dumb) I'm trying to put this formula into D2 but the formula does not leave the cell when I paste it?

Upvote 0
Check my updated formula to accommodate your serial starting at N00164-18-5001 in Post # 8, change/adjust cell reference/range to suit your needs.

Edit: we posted at the same time.

Check you Cell Formatting for D2, make sure it's "General" (Not Text), re-enter formula.

And to Copy the VALUE generated by the formula, Copy D2, Paste "VALUE", in Column A cell of your need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let the formula be in D2.

Copy cell D2 and right-click on the cell in column A you wish to enter the value. Use pastespecial and then values in the cell (in Column A) you want to enter the serial number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've made sure that the formatting for D2 is general but the fomula shows up in cell D2 and does not go away. If i start to type in D3 "N00" then it will have the next serial pop up like the formula is working but the formula is still pasted on the spreadsheet in the cell above it (D2)?

Upvote 0
After you've made Certain D2 is formatted General, Re-Enter the formula in D2.

Upvote 0
Nvm i figured it out. Opened a new Excel document and the formula worked with this one!! Thanks everyone for all the help. Truly appreciated!

Upvote 0
Great you figured it out.

Just so you know, my formula will fail After N00164-18-5999, so after that, if you need the Next Serial to be N00164-18-6000, then N00164-18-6001, etc, use this updated formula.
It'll accommodate Any Serial from N00164-18-1000 to N00164-18-9999, if you need it to go even Higher, let me know.

Book1
ABCD
1N00164-18-5001Next Serial Report #
2R90794-18-0024N00164-18-5004
3N00164-18-5002
4V35053-18-2003
5N00164-18-5003
Sheet357
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2="N00164-18-"&RIGHT(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH("N00164-18-",A1:A100),A1:A100),4)+1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back