russellmatt21

I am trying to make a spread sheet of data for the nba arranging players against who they would be matched up against for that night's game. I currently have it set up so that the teams are labeled and depth position is input manually along with opponent. For instance, LeBron James (small forward for the cleveland cavaliers) play the sacramento kings tonight. I have a formula in place that gathers the necessary information (just a simple =M2&"x"&H2, for example). So for LeBron, because the Cavaliers are playing against Sacramento tonight and he is the small forward, it retuns the value SACxSF1. This value is then looked up in a master sheet to return who the small forward is for Sacramento. It works for every team but Cleveland, sacramento and atlanta for some reason. I am using a FALSE lookup. Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Welcome to the Board!

Without seeing what your data and formulas look like, it really is not possible to say what the problem may be.

You cannot upload files to this site. But there are tools you can use to post screen images. They are listed in Section B of this link here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-a...forum-use.html.
Also, there is a Test Here forum on this board that you can use to test out these tools to make sure they are working correctly before using them in your question.

Upvote 0
VLOOKUP using a formula

I am trying to lookup something that is derived from a formula. It is for an NBA matchups sheet. my lookup formula is =VLOOKUP(AJ3,‘Master Depth’!$A$2:$B$412,2,FALSE). the value in AJ3 is =M3&“x”&H3. M3 is the opponent team and H3 is the player position, so the formula =M3&“x”&H3 would return something like CLExSF1. This lookup works successfully for most teams but not all. My 'Master Depth' sheet is organized in two columns, left is the CLExSF1 and right is the Player Name.

Thanks,
Matt

Upvote 0
Re: VLOOKUP using a formula

Hi russellmatt21,
Could you please provide more data samples and possibly a pic?
Thanks,
Kevin

Upvote 0
Re: VLOOKUP using a formula

Welcome to the board.

The formula looks fine. If it works at all, then the problem is in the data (you said it works for most)

Look for extra spaces in all ranges involved, M3 and H3, and corresponding cells of Master Depth column A

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back