How change relative values to absolute on Mac

somanyqs

Board Regular
So simple, can't seem to find the answer
I have a block of cells and I need to change all formulas from relative to absolute

I've tried command-t, which doesn't do anything
Also tried using the "Switch Reference" in the ribbon, which seems to work only when I am IN one cell.
Any help would be great - thanks much!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
When an address is selected in the formula bar, pressing Cmd+t will toggle through all four absolute/relative options for that address.

If you select all of a formula, pressing Cmd+t will change all cell referneces to the same abs/rel setting and then toggle through the four options.

I know of no built-in way to do it a whole block of cells at once. A macro to do this would be possible.

Upvote 0
If your ultimate goal is to copy a cell with the formula =A1+$B$3 and paste it somewhere else and still have the formula =A1+$B$3, that is a different macro than the one I mentioned above and (IMO) a more useful one.

If that is the case, please advise.

Upvote 0
Nope, looking to do it for a whole block of cells at once. Bummer the feature doesn't exist. Seemed like such an obvious one!
I'm not a big macro user on my Excel for Mac, but will look online to see if I can find a macro like this and how to use it -
Thank you

Upvote 0
How about this macro. Select a range and call this macro repeatedly until the Rel/Abs is the way you want it.
NOTE: it will make all references the same
=A1+$B$3 will go to =$A$1+$B$3 to =A$1+B$3 to =$A1+$B3 to =A1+B3

Code:
Sub test()
    Static RA As Long
    Dim oneCell As Range
    RA = (RA Mod 4) + 1
    For Each oneCell In Selection
        With oneCell
            If .HasFormula Then
                .FormulaR1C1 = Application.ConvertFormula(.FormulaR1C1, xlR1C1, xlR1C1, RA, oneCell)
            End If
        End With
    Next oneCell
End Sub

Upvote 0
This is a dead thread, but I was trying to switch a block of cells this morning and, finding there was no good solution beyond a macro, a find and replace will sometimes work depending upon what you're doing. In my case, I was able to use the ! for a sheet reference to replace with !$ and because I only had two rows, I could search for 9 and replace with $9, etc. I just thought someone might find benefit to this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back