How to best create a calendar and be able to insert traffic light colours in each cell?

rogloc

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have asked to produce a system for team members to log their availability to help out using a traffic light system. I am hoping a template already exists where there is already a calendar, say one worksheet for each month in the year, then a column can be inserted to the left for team members names. Each member can them say type in R, A or G for red, amber and green colours to appear in the cell for that day?

I am hoping a calendar already exists for 2020, and going forward, and that there is a simple way to insert the traffic light colour in each day?

Advice much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
There is lots of templates in excel, open excel, click new, then search templates for calendar.
to add colours,
once your calendar is open highlight the days of each month
  1. click Home on the ribbon,
  2. then Conditional Formatting,
  3. highlight cell rules,
  4. then equal to
  5. in the pop up box type the letter R (or A or G doesnt matter but only 1 at a time)
  6. click the drop down menu on the right & custom format
hope this helps

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Many thanks Dave much appreciated. That gave me the hint to know what to do, I've done Excel courses in the past but sometimes it does not come back immediately.

An issue I am having though is strange so wonder if this is to do with my setup? In Excel 2016 I can do 1-5 OK.

Then, '6. click the drop down menu on the right & custom format'

I can see a drop down with perhaps half a dozen random options of colours as if these had been selected before, not standard colours, but crucially no custom drop down to select the colours I need?

Do you know why Excel is not doing as one would expect - I checked out on YouTube too so have seen what it is supposed to do and as is per your instructions?

Upvote 0
The 'Custom Format' option should be there. Clicking on this should open the Format Cells box, click on Fill tab at the top, and then choose your colour

Attachments

• Custom Format.PNG
    Custom Format.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Format Cells.PNG
    Format Cells.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
Are you using the 2016 desktop app, or are you using Excel Online?

Upvote 0
Thanks both. I am using Excel online but trying to get the desktop version downloaded. I found it odd that the web version gave a random type list of colours, as in your illustration, but not the custom format.

Upvote 0
Xl online has a lot of limitations compared to the desktop version, this is just one of them.

Upvote 0
I can get the desktop version of 2013 at the moment, and I used the same method as with web 2016 and whilst it lets me have custom fill colours it does not work in practice. Should the instructions be the same or do they differ?

Upvote 0
What do you mean "It doesn't work in practice"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back