How to do Vlookup using VBA to sheet which is filtered?

dmadhup

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,

I am doing vlookup to filtered sheet using this code:

VBA Code:
Sub test()
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Range("B2:B6").SpecialCells(xlVisible).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(rc1,Sheet2!c1:c3,2,FALSE)"
End Sub

This code works well when sheet1 is filtered. But In my case Sheet2 is filtered not sheet1.

I want to do vlookup from sheet1 (Not filtered) to the sheet2 (filtered). Is there any way I can modify my code to achieve this?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!

Finally, it works. Thank you so much for your time.

By the way, what this line do?
IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$7=$A2,1)

Appreciated!
You're welcome!

The IF statement says if $A2 is found in Sheet2!$A$2:$A$7, then return 1. This is the first step in solving your problem: is the value in column A of sheet1 also found in the column A of sheet2?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
You're welcome!

The IF statement says if $A2 is found in Sheet2!$A$2:$A$7, then return 1. This is the first step in solving your problem: is the value in column A of sheet1 also found in the column A of sheet2?

I see.
Actually I tried to implement this concept on another data set where I have two different files. And its driving me crazy.....May be I am asking too much. But I don't know why its not working.

If possible, could you please have a look this code:

VBA Code:
Range("BB14").FormulaArray = _
"=IF(B14=0,"""",IF(ISNA(INDEX('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, MATCH(1, IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1))>0,IF('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B=$B14,1)),0),0)),""No History""," _
& "INDEX('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, MATCH(1, IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1))>0,IF('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B=$B14,1)),0),0))"

Upvote 0
I see.
Actually I tried to implement this concept on another data set where I have two different files. And its driving me crazy.....May be I am asking too much. But I don't know why its not working.

If possible, could you please have a look this code:

VBA Code:
Range("BB14").FormulaArray = _
"=IF(B14=0,"""",IF(ISNA(INDEX('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, MATCH(1, IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1))>0,IF('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B=$B14,1)),0),0)),""No History""," _
& "INDEX('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, MATCH(1, IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1))>0,IF('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B=$B14,1)),0),0))"

I am trying to put on cell 14

1592006405963.png

from this file:

1592006477481.png

Upvote 0
I am trying to put on cell 14

View attachment 16091

from this file:

View attachment 16092

Basically the formula is this I am using:

VBA Code:
INDEX('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, MATCH(1, IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1))>0,IF('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B=$B14,1)),0),0)

Upvote 0
Also, I am trying to understand MATCH(1.............
Basically the first argument in Match is lookup value. Right? But I see 1 as a lookup value.
This one is difficult to explain. Yes, 1 is the lookup value. MATCH is looking for 1 in the second argument of MATCH, which is "IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$7,ROW($A$2:$A$7)-ROW($A$2),0,1))>0,IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$7=$A3,1))".

You can use the mouse to highlight this part of formula in the formula bar and hit F9. You'll get the result of this part of the formula. It's an array. {FALSE;1;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE} is what you'll get. Since MATCH is looking for 1 in this array and 1 is the second element of this array, MATCH will return 2.

Upvote 0
This one is difficult to explain. Yes, 1 is the lookup value. MATCH is looking for 1 in the second argument of MATCH, which is "IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$7,ROW($A$2:$A$7)-ROW($A$2),0,1))>0,IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$7=$A3,1))".

You can use the mouse to highlight this part of formula in the formula bar and hit F9. You'll get the result of this part of the formula. It's an array. {FALSE;1;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE} is what you'll get. Since MATCH is looking for 1 in this array and 1 is the second element of this array, MATCH will return 2.

Great!
Actually, I modified the formula to fit in another set of data set.
And my fomula becomes line this:

VBA Code:
Range("BB14").FormulaArray =_
INDEX('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, MATCH(1, IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1))>0,IF('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B=$B14,1)),0),0)

Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1 file look like this:
1592012242651.png

Do you think I am making any mistake in above formula?

Upvote 0
I took a quick glance at your code and found the following:

VBA Code:
OFFSET('[Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1'!$B:$B, ROW($B$14:$B$500)-ROW($B$14),0,1)
You need to use the same range in OFFSET. Can't have different ranges. Try changing "$B:$B" to "B$14:$B$500" and see what happens. Don't use $B:$B if you don't have to. It'll save some calculation time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please go to MrExcel Message Board/MrExcel Message Board FAQ & Help to see how to use XL2BB to post data. This will save me, and other people who try to help, some, could be a lot of, typing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look in to it but my file size little bigger.

So, the above formula I put here in BB cell and looking into Master_Quote_NewClosedQuote_History.xlsx]Quote_History1 file.

The formula I modified like this:

VBA Code:
Range("BB14").FormulaArray =_

1592013158676.png

1592013223882.png

Upvote 0
I see that you have $B:$B in other places of the formula. Change them all to $B14:$B500 and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back