How to extract all rows from excel data set when cell/column contains certain text

AndySP

I have an Excel data-set that contains more columns and rows than I need in my final table. I would like to extract the rows that contain the word "Domestic" in it into a new table.
For example, I have 6 columns of data (A, B, C, D, E, F) and column "F" is where the word "Domestic" would be if the cell contains it. I would then like to bring back columns A, C, and D for all rows where column F contains "Domestic" - and if the row does not contain "Domestic" it is ignored. My headers is in row 1 and my data runs from Row 2-599 Can someone please help me with a formula or exact VBA code that would do this in Excel?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Try (untested)

in Sheet2!A1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$D$599,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$1:$F$599="Domestic",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$59)))),ROW(A1)),1),"")
in Sheet2!B1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$D$599,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$1:$F$599="Domestic",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$59)))),ROW(A1)),3),"")
in Sheet2!C1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$D$599,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$1:$F$599="Domestic",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$59)))),ROW(A1)),4),"")

Note: These are array formulas, enter them using Ctrl-Shift-Enter
Copy them down the columns

Upvote 0
I have an Excel data-set that contains more columns and rows than I need in my final table. I would like to extract the rows that contain the word "Domestic" in it into a new table.
For example, I have 6 columns of data (A, B, C, D, E, F) and column "F" is where the word "Domestic" would be if the cell contains it. I would then like to bring back columns A, C, and D for all rows where column F contains "Domestic" - and if the row does not contain "Domestic" it is ignored. My headers is in row 1 and my data runs from Row 2-599 Can someone please help me with a formula or exact VBA code that would do this in Excel?
Hi AndySP, welcome to the boards.

A possible VBA solution is as follows. This code assumes that the sheets are called Sheet1 and Sheet2 (amend as required), and also that A1:C1 on Sheet2 already has the respective column headers in place:

Code:
Sub CopyCells()
' Defines variables
Dim Cell As Range, cRange As Range

' Defines LastRow1 as the last row of data in sheet 1 based on column A
LastRow1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
' Defines LastRow2 as the first blank row of data in sheet 2 based on column A
LastRow2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1

' Sets the check range as F2 to the last row of F on sheet1
Set cRange = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F2:F" & LastRow1)

' For each cell in the check range
For Each Cell In cRange
    ' If the cell value is Domestic then...
    If Cell.Value = "Domestic" Then
        ' Copy cell A of the cell row to the first blank row of column A in sheet2
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Cell.Row).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & LastRow2)
        ' Copy cells C and D of the cell row to the first row of column B in sheet2
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C" & Cell.Row, "D" & Cell.Row).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B" & LastRow2)
        ' Increase LastRow2 by 1 to account for the new data
        LastRow2 = LastRow2 + 1
    End If
' Check next cell in check range
Next Cell

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Fishboy! But I am getting almost double the number of rows being brought back than what contains "Domestic" in column F?

Hi AndySP, welcome to the boards.

A possible VBA solution is as follows. This code assumes that the sheets are called Sheet1 and Sheet2 (amend as required), and also that A1:C1 on Sheet2 already has the respective column headers in place:

Code:
Sub CopyCells()
' Defines variables

For Each Cell In cRange
        ' Copy cell A of the cell row to the first blank row of column A in sheet2
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Cell.Row).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & LastRow2)
        ' Copy cells C and D of the cell row to the first row of column B in sheet2
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C" & Cell.Row, "D" & Cell.Row).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B" & LastRow2)
        LastRow2 = LastRow2 + 1
    End If
Next Cell

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Special-K99 but I am not getting any data returned...?

Try (untested)

in Sheet2!A1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$D$599,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$1:$F$599="Domestic",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$59)))),ROW(A1)),1),"")
in Sheet2!B1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$D$599,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$1:$F$599="Domestic",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$59)))),ROW(A1)),3),"")
in Sheet2!C1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$D$599,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$1:$F$599="Domestic",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$59)))),ROW(A1)),4),"")

Note: These are array formulas, enter them using Ctrl-Shift-Enter
Copy them down the columns

Upvote 0
@Fishboy - I see what the code is doing now! If I wanted to bring back columns C, D and F from Sheet 1 into Sheet 2 how would I write this? To adjust this code:
Copy cells C and D of the cell row to the first row of column B in sheet2
LastRow2 = LastRow2 + 1

Upvote 0
@Fishboy - I see what the code is doing now! If I wanted to bring back columns C, D and F from Sheet 1 into Sheet 2 how would I write this? To adjust this code:
Copy cells C and D of the cell row to the first row of column B in sheet2
LastRow2 = LastRow2 + 1

Hi Andy,

Assuming you want them in the first 3 columns on the destination sheet then you would want to tweak the code as highlighted below:

Rich (BB code):
Sub CopyCells()
' Defines variables

For Each Cell In cRange
        ' Copy cells C and D of the cell row to the first row of column A in sheet2
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C" & Cell.Row, "D" & Cell.Row).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & LastRow2)
        ' Copy cell F of the cell row to the first blank row of column C in sheet2
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F" & Cell.Row).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("C" & LastRow2)

LastRow2 = LastRow2 + 1
    End If
Next Cell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back