How to identify cells containing formulae with no external references

amaroo460

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> In Excel 2003 I want to apply conditional formats to entire worksheets to highlight with colour:
a) cells with constant numerical values, including formulae with no external references (e.g. a volume entered as a product of 3 numbers - I do this so I can see where the volume figure came from);
b) cells containing formulae that don't reduce to constant value (i.e. with references to other cells).

I'm 90% there using the function IsNumber and a function IsFormula created in Virtual Basic:

Function IsFormula(c)
IsFormula = c.HasFormula
End Function

This identifies formula cells and other numeric cells. My problem is how do I identify cells with constant value formulae to colour them as a) rather than b)?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Not the same as coloring things, but have you considered messing around with the 'trace precedents' or 'trace dependents'?

Upvote 0
If you are using A1 reference-style in your worksheet (not R1C1 reference-style) maybe this

Code:
Function IsFormula(c) As Boolean
    Dim inputFormula As String, convertedFormula As String

If c.HasFormula Then
        inputFormula = c.Formula
        convertedFormula = Application.ConvertFormula(Formula:=inputFormula, fromReferenceStyle:=xlA1, _
            toReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1)
        IsFormula = inputFormula <> convertedFormula
    End If

End Function

M.

Upvote 0
Hi Marcelo - so simple! I've not done much coding since writing Fortran and Algol in the '70s and '80s so I'm pretty rusty! Your help much appreciated. Peter

Upvote 0
Hi Marcelo - so simple! I've not done much coding since writing Fortran and Algol in the '70s and '80s so I'm pretty rusty! Your help much appreciated. Peter

Hi Peter,

Fortran, yes, i remember!!! (looong time ago...)

Thanks for the feedback.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back