How to if a number is higher or lower than the previous one,

ashworthm

Hello, Im in need of some help.

I have a sheet with 4 months on jan, feb, mar and april, Jan is a base figure and I need to indicate which months go up in value eg jan 50 then feb 60,mar 70 apr 90 then that would indicate a 1 in the cell next to april, also the other side of it if the values went down it would indicate a 2, and finally if the values went up and down it would show a 3, I have got a spreadsheet to show but I havnt got a clue how to upload it.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Welcome to the board.

I think a formula along the lines of =if(a2>a1,1,0), where a2 is the feb number and a1 is the jan number will do what you are looking for in the feb column. For other months, if I'm reading correctly, try something like =if(and(a2=1,a3<a1)=true,3,if(a3>a1,1,0)). Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, If i could upload exactly what i mean it may help, how do i do that, its says i cannot load attachments?

Upvote 0
You can't upload the entire workbook, but you can paste an example of the data you have and the output you want. That would be helpful to understand what you are trying to do. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Dec jan feb mar
50 60 70 80 All are higher than previous cell
50 40 30 20 All are lower than previous cell
50 40 80 10 Mixed, all are either higher or lower than previous cell,

Dec is a base figure which will change from time to time,

So how would the formula go to get the results in column G depending on the 3 rules for jan, feb and mar?
i would want the formula to return either 1 for all higher, 2 for all lower or 3 for mixed?
==============
so for the first line, jan (60) is higher than Dec, feb and march is still higher so it would return a 1.

hope this helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JazzSingerNL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back