How to increment cell value with IF condtion?

zakmuh

Hi everyone!

I'd be greateful if anyone can help me on this complicated query. Maybe easy peasy for you :confused:

I'm a structural design engineer and I want to develop my own spreadsheet to calculate required area (mm^2) of reinforcement bars in concrete to avoid concrete cracking due to temperature rise in summer. Available input are min area of reinfor (cell A3), crack width limit (A1) and calculated crack with (A2). For example.....

A1= Crack width limit 0.2mm. A2= Calculated crack 0.28mm (which is higher than the limit 0.2mm; therefore min area of reinfor A3= 1450mm^2 is insufficient to stop concrete from cracking). Now......to stop cracking, I want cell B1 to take 1450 from A3 and keep increasing it until the condiotn A1>=A2 is met and I want cell B1 to display that increament( lets say 1780mm^2). I hope you do get what exaclty I want to do in excel :confused:

I don't have much experience in Excel so I don't know anything about Macro/VBA coding etc. Can we do a simple thing like this B1=IF(A1>=A2,A3,somthing here to keep adding a value to A3??) OR do we have to give pragamming code???

If it has to be Macro/VBA, could you please give me the complete coding with an instruction where to write it.

Cheers :)

NB: There are several calculations done with manual inputs within the sheet to derive the A2 (0.28mm) value

Well wot I mean by working is...I could see values in cells A2 ( calculated crack with) and B1 (required rebar area) are changing and then, as soon as they change the sheet freezes...

Thanks Shrikant :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
YOU ARE A STAR ;)

It works perfectly Shrikant! Thank you so much for solving my query mate.

Just for my info Im asking...VBA and Macro, are they both same? I think in Macro you dont have to Run the programme? Please correct me if Im wrong

Thanks again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
VBA is visual basic for application. It is a programming language.

Macro is a program written in VBA to "Tell" the application what to do. In short it is a written instructions to the application to perform tasks in given manner.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back