How to insert a number as a number and not text

dpaton05

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following formula in a total price cell for a spreadsheet that generates quotes. The cell has to lookup info if the drop down menu under "what service" cell has something other than respite care. If it has respite care, the price needs to be $150, regardless of the inputs in the other cells. With the following formula, $150 gets put in the price cell, not as a number but as text. By that I mean that all the other line in this pricing sheet, are right aligned, as with all numbers, but if I have respite care selected, the $150 is left aligned, as with text.

=IF([@[What service]]="Respite Care","$150.00",IF(OR(ISBLANK(A14),ISBLANK(C14),ISBLANK(D14),ISBLANK(E14)),0,((INDEX(Max_pay_1hr,MATCH([@[What service]],W4:W7,0),MATCH([@Column1],W4:Z4,0))+INDEX(extra_pickup_location,MATCH([@[What service]],$P$4:$P$8,0),MATCH([@Column1],P4:S4,0))*[@[Extra pickups, up to 3 CYP]]+INDEX(extra_hours_over_1,MATCH([@[What service]],$P$11:$P$15,0),MATCH([@Column1],$P$11:$S$11,0)))*[@[No. workers required]])))

How do I get it so the $150 gets entered as a number and has right alignment? Is the IF statement at the front the right formula as I couldn't think of what it should be?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Have you tried formatting the cell with the $150 as number, or better still currency, not text ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the following formula in a total price cell for a spreadsheet that generates quotes. The cell has to lookup info if the drop down menu under "what service" cell has something other than respite care. If it has respite care, the price needs to be $150, regardless of the inputs in the other cells. With the following formula, $150 gets put in the price cell, not as a number but as text. By that I mean that all the other line in this pricing sheet, are right aligned, as with all numbers, but if I have respite care selected, the $150 is left aligned, as with text.

=IF([@[What service]]="Respite Care","$150.00",IF(OR(ISBLANK(A14),ISBLANK(C14),ISBLANK(D14),ISBLANK(E14)),0,((INDEX(Max_pay_1hr,MATCH([@[What service]],W4:W7,0),MATCH([@Column1],W4:Z4,0))+INDEX(extra_pickup_location,MATCH([@[What service]],$P$4:$P$8,0),MATCH([@Column1],P4:S4,0))*[@[Extra pickups, up to 3 CYP]]+INDEX(extra_hours_over_1,MATCH([@[What service]],$P$11:$P$15,0),MATCH([@Column1],$P$11:$S$11,0)))*[@[No. workers required]])))

How do I get it so the $150 gets entered as a number and has right alignment? Is the IF statement at the front the right formula as I couldn't think of what it should be?
That is because you are telling it to put text $150.
Try removing the text quotes & the $ sign.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back