How to keep NOW() and TODAY() From updating.

NYRANGERS423

So, I need to keep the NOW() and TODAY() from changing every time I change a cell or open the spreadsheet. I need the columns C, (TODAY()), F and G (NOW()) to stop updating once there is a time or date in the column. Thank you for the help! If you need anymore information Let me know.

Uh, that is not code (what I posted in Message #11 is code)... that is a formula. You told me Column J did not have formulas in it (Message #26), although you may have thought you were correcting that in the next message. Anyway, so you are saying cell J2 has this in it....

=IF(B2="","",'Name List'!$D$2)

correct? I see you have an absolute cell reference for $D$2... what formula is in cell J3 then?

J3 will have the same formula as J2. This column is to record who was working at that time. For example john works and fills his name into the other sheet into cell D2 which is absolute. He then signs in 5 guests, so in column J2 to J6 his name from Cell D2 in the other sheet should be placed in cells J2, J3, J4, J5, J6. But when we change the name in the other sheet from John to Jack in cell D2 it changes the name in cells J2 to J6 also to Jack and jack did not sign those people in or out. How can I keep Johns name in those cells after I change the name is the absoult cell D2 on the other sheet named 'Name List'?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
NYRANGERS423;4465231He then signs in 5 guests said:
This is starting to get confusing. Okay, if you have the same formula those cells, how do you control which get filled in? What I mean is this... if 5 guests are signed in, cells J2, J3, J4, J5 and J6 fill in, but what if only 3 guests are signed in? I would assume only cells J2, J3 and J4 should get filled in, but you have the same formula in all the cells so what would stop cells J5 and J6 from also filling in when only 3 guests are signed in?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is starting to get confusing. Okay, if you have the same formula those cells, how do you control which get filled in? What I mean is this... if 5 guests are signed in, cells J2, J3, J4, J5 and J6 fill in, but what if only 3 guests are signed in? I would assume only cells J2, J3 and J4 should get filled in, but you have the same formula in all the cells so what would stop cells J5 and J6 from also filling in when only 3 guests are signed in?

Well with the formula =IF(B2="","", 'Name List'!$D$2) if i drag down the formula the B2 becomes B3 then B3 becomes B4. So each formula will only put his name if the corresponding B cell in the row is filled.

Upvote 0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BymDkoe162q6SzZzY25CSnFfa1k/view?usp=sharing

This is another picture that has the code for the cell inside. The cell will corrispode to the cell B in the same row. The code works to get the name of the worker from the other sheet and place it in the cell but I think I need to use VBA again to keep the cell from changeing once the workers switch names on the other sheet in cell D2, which is a absolute in the formula for cell J.

J2 will have this =IF(B2="","", 'Name List'!$D$2)
J3 will have this =IF(B3="","", 'Name List'!$D$2)
J4 will have this =IF(B4="","", 'Name List'!$D$2)
etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back