How to keep NOW() and TODAY() From updating.

NYRANGERS423

So, I need to keep the NOW() and TODAY() from changing every time I change a cell or open the spreadsheet. I need the columns C, (TODAY()), F and G (NOW()) to stop updating once there is a time or date in the column. Thank you for the help! If you need anymore information Let me know.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I think you are missing the point of those functions, they are specifically designed to update to current conditions. I would suspect the simplest solution would be to paste the values of those functions into their respective cells overwriting the formula.

Hope this helps

h

Upvote 0
The NOW and TODAY functions will update each time the sheet they are on calculates. If you want the cells that contain those functions to have static time/date stamps you will need to use VBA in conjunction with whatever event you want the time/date stamp to capture.

Upvote 0
Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+; for the current date and Ctrl+: (= Ctrl+Shift+;) for the current time.

Upvote 0
The NOW and TODAY functions will update each time the sheet they are on calculates. If you want the cells that contain those functions to have static time/date stamps you will need to use VBA in conjunction with whatever event you want the time/date stamp to capture.

Well I have a function =IF(A2="","",NOW()) Once the time is recorded I don't want it to update the time at all. I need the exact time for a record. I am not sure how to use VBA, What would I need to do to keep it static once the cell is populated.

Upvote 0
Well I have a function =IF(A2="","",NOW()) Once the time is recorded I don't want it to update the time at all. I need the exact time for a record. I am not sure how to use VBA, What would I need to do to keep it static once the cell is populated.
You could use an event macro to automatically update the cell that formula is in with the date & time a change is made to cell A2. If you tell me what cell the formula is in I can give you a macro to try (with instructions on how to install and use it).

Upvote 0
We can show you the VBA code and how to install it, but you need to give us a little bit more information...

1) What cell or cells (if there is a range of cells being tested rather than just cell A2) should the date go in?

2) What should happen if A2 gets a value so that the date is recorded and then later on a different value is entered into cell A2... should the original date remain or should it be updated to reflect the entry of a different value in the cell?

3) What should happen if cell A2 gets a value so that the date is recorded and then later on cell A2 is cleared... should the date be cleared as well or should the deletion trigger an updating of the date cell?

Upvote 0
We can show you the VBA code and how to install it, but you need to give us a little bit more information...

1) What cell or cells (if there is a range of cells being tested rather than just cell A2) should the date go in?

2) What should happen if A2 gets a value so that the date is recorded and then later on a different value is entered into cell A2... should the original date remain or should it be updated to reflect the entry of a different value in the cell?

3) What should happen if cell A2 gets a value so that the date is recorded and then later on cell A2 is cleared... should the date be cleared as well or should the deletion trigger an updating of the date cell?

1) I have the today's date in column C, And a Time in and Time out in Column F and G. All which will need a static date and or time once populated.
2) The Time and Date should stay the same No change if A2 changes. A2 just holds a name to the cell.
3) If A2 is cleared the Date should stay the same, there might be instances where we might have to change the name in the A column but the time and date should still be the same as originally populated.

The way I have the layout is shown in the picture at this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BymDkoe162q6NFhPVm1EalBQbkE/view?usp=sharing

Upvote 0
1) I have the today's date in column C, And a Time in and Time out in Column F and G. All which will need a static date and or time once populated.
Follow-up question... I presume the Time In value is filled in at the same time the Date is filled in.... when does the Time Out value get placed?

Upvote 0
Follow-up question... I presume the Time In value is filled in at the same time the Date is filled in.... when does the Time Out value get placed?

The Time Out value is put in as soon as the column B or the Sign out column is populated with another name. I appreciate all your help very much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back