How to Merge 2 Filtered Tables into a 3rd Table

R4ndm

Hi,

I'm trying to do a merge of 2 filtered tables into a 3rd one.

Here is a simple example of what I'm trying to do. I have 3 sheets (Husband_Expenses, Wife_Expenses, Family_House_Expenses) and each sheet has a table (Husband_Expenses_T, Wife_Expenses_T, Family_House_Expenses_T) that contains rows of expense data.

Both the Husband_Expenses_T and Wife_Expenses_T, have an Expense_Type column that I can use to filter the expenses to show only the ones I want to see (for example, House, Car, Food, etc.)

I've been able to use the following code to merge both Husband_Expenses_T and Wife_Expenses_T into a 3rd table that contains all records so essentially a Family_Expenses_T. But I would like to filter both these tables first so that I only copy rows that have Expense_Type with a value of "House" into Family_House_Expenses_T table on the Family_House_Expenses sheet.

Sub Populate_Family_House_Expenses_T()
Dim lastRow As Variant
Dim mySheets

mySheets = Array("Husband_Expenses", "Wife_Expenses")

Family_House_Expenses_T 'This function empties the table in case it currently contains data.

For i = 0 To UBound(mySheets)
Set lastRow = Sheets("Family_House_Expenses").ListObjects("Family_House_Expenses_T").ListRows.Add
Sheets(mySheets(i)).ListObjects(mySheets(i) & "_T").DataBodyRange.Copy
lastRow.Range.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
Next i
End Sub

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
hi,

Preferably set up the data in one table instead of three: with a new field for Husband, Wife, Family-House. Then all sorts of things are MUCH easier.

If maintaining three tables, they can be combined using a query - this requires no formulas & no VBA. Can be set up via menu ALT-D-D-N and follow the wizard. There is an option via the wizard to filter, such as for "House", or there are other approaches. One way that is a bit limited but does what you want is simply hard code the SQL. So for the data given, it would be like below.

HTH. Regards, Fazza

Code:
SELECT *
FROM (
SELECT * FROM Husband_Expenses_T
UNION ALL
SELECT * FROM Wife_Expenses_T
UNION ALL
SELECT * FROM Family_House_Expenses_T)
WHERE Expense_Type = 'House'

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions. Using the SQL is an interesting way to do it.
As for having a field for husband/wife/family-house, I can't because each sheet is populated by downloading the finances directly from either the husband's or wife's online banking, so it's easier to just dump into a sheet.

I found a way to achieve what I wanted by using the AutoFilter directly in my loop:

For i = 0 To UBound(mySheets)
Set lastRow = Sheets("Family_House_Expenses").ListObjects("Family_House_Expenses_T").ListRows.Add
Sheets(mySheets(i)).ListObjects(mySheets(i) & "_T").ShowAutoFilter = True
Sheets(mySheets(i)).ListObjects(mySheets(i) & "_T").AutoFilter.ShowAllData
Sheets(mySheets(i)).ListObjects(mySheets(i) & "_T").DataBodyRange.AutoFilter Field:= 4, Criteria1:="=House"
Sheets(mySheets(i)).ListObjects(mySheets(i) & "_T").DataBodyRange.Copy
lastRow.Range.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
Next i

This worked and did exactly what I was trying to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back