How to 'push' or 'send' data from Data Entry Form cells to correct cells in underlying 'data sheet'

QuestionsReExcel

(N.B. I'm trying to do this without VBA, which I don't know. I'm not sure it's possible, even with VBA...)

I'm trying to create a 'data entry form' (i.e. a sheet that looks like a data entry form, complete with Form Control checkboxes, text boxes, maybe some data validation drop down and/or form control combo boxes. I know Excel has a built in data entry form, but it's limited to 32 fields and lacks use of formulae, certain form controls (like check box or option buttons), etc.)

I want the data entered on this 'data entry form' to populate the correct cells in the correct rows on other sheets, such as the 'storage sheet'.

(I might have 25 cases on the 'Case' sheet. I'd like to look at a given case in a more user-friendly GUI. I know Excel can make forms look almost as goods as Access. The forms are good for entering data and entering data. It's easier, especially if one given row might have 150 or more different cells.)

Look at the screen shots on the lower right here: http://www.abacusgov.com/products/specialeditions/personalinjury.html to see the kind of thing I'm trying to emulate. In the latter four shots, a given case name is selected. Then, all the data entered goes to populate the correct cells on the given 'case name' row. I know Access is built for such a thing, but can Excel do it?

Is there a way to 'push' or 'send' the data from the entry cells to the CORRECT ROW on another page? I know Excel can 'pull' data from another cell into a given cell, but can Excel 'push' data from a cell into another cell? Or, regardless, is there a way around this?

E.g., if I have 50 rows in the 'storage sheet', corresponding to cases 1 through 50, and I open up the 'data entry form' on another sheet (by first selecting case name no. 43), is there a way to automagically send the data entered in the 'data entry form' to the underlying 'storage sheet' cells? (Apart from the fact is has to be the correct row.)

I know that if I have a Data Validation dropdown on the 'data entry form' that selects a given case name (case names are unique, sort of like a key field in Access), and I do the MATCH function on the case name selected in order to determine which row should store the data in the 'storage sheet', then I've figured out which row to put the info in. This would be helpful if I was doing it by hand, but that defeats the purpose of automation.

Please help! I've been up all night working on this for 12 hours straight and I can't think straight anymore. Help!!

I mean, what's the point of creating a data entry form in Excel for entering data if it can't be stored?! (And I'm not talking about VBA...)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Welcome to the Board!

What you want can be done, but not without VBA. Fortunately it's not to hard, and in your case can probably be accomplished with a For...Each...Next structure to iterate through your 50 variables and put them in the right place.

Here's a good starter tutorial: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back