How to Remember SUMIF and SUMIFS Formulas

bencar

Banned user
Hi guys,

I get confused as to the syntax between SUMIF and SUMIFS. Do you know a way you guys can remember each syntax without getting confused one with the other?

Using the data dave2018 posted, I can calculate the sum of column A where the entry in column B is "West" with either of these two formulas:

=SUMIFS(A2:A100, B2:B100, "West")
or
=SUMIF(B2:B100, "West", A2:A100)

Both formulas return 158.

Similarly, If I want to calculate the sum of A2:A100 where the values are greater than or equal to 10:

=SUMIFS(A2:A100, A2:A100, ">=10")
or
=SUMIF(A2:A100, ">=10")

Both formulas return 100.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
"Replace this cell with a formula to sum the values in column A that are greater or equal to 5"

Hi dave,

I put in SUMIFS(A1:A99,"=5") following your sheet. I get an error. So I dont think SUMIFS work with a single criteria.

Upvote 0
You can get along only knowing SUMIFS. It works for a single criteria range, =SUMIFS(A1:A10, B1:B10, TRUE).

Hi thisoldman,

I tried using, =SUMIFS(A1:A99,"=5") and =SUMIFS(A1:A99,"=5", TRUE) and both dont work on the sheet dave provided. As I said I dont think single criteria works for SUMIFS.

Upvote 0
Hi thisoldman,

I tried using, =SUMIFS(A1:A99,"=5") and =SUMIFS(A1:A99,"=5", TRUE) and both dont work on the sheet dave provided. As I said I dont think single criteria works for SUMIFS.

Also forgot to mention.. could you explain what you meant by: =SUMIFS(A1:A10, B1:B10, TRUE) ?? I tried using 'TRUE' but it doesnt work in single criteria in SUMIFS.

Upvote 0
Hi dave,

I put in SUMIFS(A1:A99,"=5") following your sheet. I get an error. So I dont think SUMIFS work with a single criteria.

In sumifs, u need at least 3 arguments at any given time, even with 1 criteria. so 1)specify the sum range. 2)specify the criteria range (it may be the same as the sum range)
3)specify the criteria....

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
SUMIFS always takes threes arguments: =SUMIFS(range_to_sum, criteria_range, criteria)

To sum all the values equal to 5 in column A using SUMIFS, I would write:
=SUMIFS(A2:A100, A2:A100, 5)
No argument can be skipped when you use SUMIFS. The range_to_sum is the same as the criteria range but you must write it twice.

SUMIF has two forms: =SUMIF(range, criteria) and SUMIF(criteria_range, criteria, range_to_sum)
With the two-argument form, the range_to_sum must be the criteria_range.
When you use the three-argument form, the criteria_range and the range_to_sum may be different, but they may also be the same range.

To sum all the values equal to 5 in column A using SUMIF, you could write:
=SUMIF(A2:A100, 5)
Or you could write:
=SUMIF(A2:A100, 5, A2:A100)

I unintentionally misled you with 'TRUE' in my one formula. Dave's data wasn't yet posted and I simply wanted to write a generic criteria. I apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I get confused as to the syntax between SUMIF and SUMIFS. Do you know a way you guys can remember each syntax without getting confused one with the other?

=SUMIF(A2:A10,">0",A2:A10)

=SUMIF(A2:A10,">0")

=SUMIFS(A2:A10,A2:A10,">0")

[1] and [2] are identical in behavior; we can say that [2] is legal.

[3] is the SUMIFS version [1] (and of course of [2])

There is no shorter version of [3].

[3] proofs that a two argument SUMIFS is legal.

Note. The range to sum in these formulas is bolded.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back