how to replace data from one cell with information from another

wpbman

I have a large file - 50,000 records.

I am trying to match up data. Its an export from a CRM. One file is contacts, and other is Accounts. Each has a RECORD ID field, which I am trying to key on.

I merged the two, but where i am running into trouble is trying to do a find and replace. If cell c3 has Record ID 12345, I want to replace it with the corresponding company name for the record ID - XYZ company. These would be row D (record ID) and Row E (company Name)..............

I am trying to get it to populate the company names into the record ID field - right now it just shows TOM JONES Record ID 12345, what I want it to show is TOM JONES XYZ Company.

So its a detailed find and replace on a macro scale as there are 34,500 record IDs which will be replaced into 56,000 records to show the corresponding company name for the contact.

Hope this makes sense!

I have tried IF THEN statements, MATCH Formulas all for naught. I hope I dont need a macro as I am a wimp when it comes to those!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi and welcome to the board!!

If you want to replace a cell's value with a new one you will need macros. If you want to work with formulae, use a helper column. I think you should get your data using Index/Match or Vlookup. Once you have your required data, copy the entire column and do a Paste Special -> Values in the required column.

Try any of the following (adjust ranges to suit needs):

Code:
=VLOOKUP(C3,$D$3:$E$50000,2,0)
OR

Code:
=INDEX($E$3:$E$50000,MATCH(C3,$D$3:$D$50000,0))
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back