I need to efficiently clean up this file to extract email addresses.

dreid1011

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning,

Our office recently upgraded Office to 2016 and will also be converting to Microsoft 365. Because of this, I have lost the auto complete list for Outlook. Prior to the change, I did copy and rename the txt file containing all the entries, but I am unable to reintroduce it to the newer version of Outlook. Anyway, my request is for some VB I can run that will efficiently clean up this file leaving me with just the email addresses.

This is just a sample of what the file looks like. I copied it into Excel, so all the data runs down column A. There doesn't seem to be any consistent character preceding each address, or surrounding them either.. if that were the case, I would have this solved already.

: €¨¶ƒ    0 ø  K i n g R e a l t y  0 ø

Email addresses left out for sensitivity. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
for some reason , its now binary.
you could have put in a bogus email address so we can see what the actual string looks like.

Upvote 0
for some reason , its now binary.
you could have put in a bogus email address so we can see what the actual string looks like.

Apologies, that was one of the shortest strings I could find. I didn't want to post a wall of garbage.

Code:
  :    €                 0    TÉø       A p p l e   T r e e s    0    nÉø       E X   ÿ    g   tÉøg       ܧ@ÈÀB´¹ +/á‚       /o=Tillamook County/  0    ÛÉø    –   / O = T I L L A M O O K   C O U N T Y /   0    N   qÊøN   EX:/O=TILLAMOOK COUNTY/ =       ¿Êø   ðj��÷ÉVF j@T×䆧 ÿ_             Þ_             ý_            ö_    ÏÊø       A p p l e   T r e e s   ÷_    g   éÊøg       ܧ@ÈÀB´¹ +/á‚       /O=TILLAMOOK COUNTY/  ò_             ï_             õ_             ë_             ß_             `             `    PËø    T   A p p l e   T r e e s   < a t r e e s @ c o . t i l l a m o o k . o r . u s >    `    G          `cw¨^ö Èð6   o t r e e s @ c o . t i l l a m o o k . o r . u s    þ9    Þ^ö    6   o t r e e s @ c o . t i l l a m o o k . o r . u s

Each instance of A p p l e T r e e s and a t r e e s and o t r e e s is a persons name. This is mostly what the file looks like even in .txt, but not all the characters transfer exactly to the forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dont know how to help with unreadable characters.

That's ok. I wasn't quite sure if there would be a solution anyway. I have tried a few things, but nothing has really worked so far. I just had hope that maybe someone had come across this particular situation before.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrob72684

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back