I want to open 70 excel files, but I get "out of memory" error in the middle

netanel99

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
hello excelers,

those 70 excel files are heavy files, I successfully open 21 excel files, but on the 22 file - it won't open, just give an error with headline "Microsoft visual basic for application" and says "out of memory",

which is logic, I've seen I can really work on those 21 files smoothly without any problems fast and reliable.

so I really want to dedicate an entire computer just to successfully open 70~ excel files,
Is that possible ? if it does, what computer u think it's have to be ?

right now , my laptop that opens 21 files is Lenovo Z510 - 8 gb memory. 4 core processor.

thanks for the help, hope to get something for my unusual question.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Is there a reason why they all have to be open at the same time?
I would open each in turn, processing the file and then closing it before moving onto the next.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Derek,
Yeah because everyday I need to open something like 40 from those heavy excel files, in my computer (Lenovo Z510, I7 , 1TB HDD, 8GB) it will open a single file in 12 seconds, and depend on the usage of other stuff (website , another softwares) it can get up to 40 seconds, it can hold up to 21 excel files open together.
My brother's laptop is Lenovo Y700, with I7 HQ, 16 GB, 500 SSD - just tested it - it opens one excel file in 8 seconds, and can hold up to 59 files together.
It's important to me to have something that will tackle this task like a champ, I wonder what should I bring with lowest cost to match my needs on this one, there's a new intel processor 8th generation coming Sept/Oct 2017, it's nowadays , so, I might just wait for this, if I successfully load excel file in 5 seconds that'll be awesome, but today with my brother's laptop I got 8.5 seconds, well, he's got probably the fastest laptop , I hope that new intel will do the job, if I don't get 5 seconds, I just want 70 files simultaneously, so , maybe with 32gb and new intel 8th computer it will get there, maybe even surpass that greatly , donno .
any additional thought will be much welcome.

Upvote 0
I'd echo what Derek Brown said.

Is there a reason why you need all 70 files open at the same time ?

If you're processing them / working on them / reviewing them manually, how the heck do you manage that task ? I struggle to keep track of more than 4 or 5 files opened at the same time :)

If you're processing them with VBA, just open them one at a time, using code, and do what you need to do with each one before closing it down, and opening the next one.

Maybe there is a good reason why you really need all 70 open at the same time, but I don't know what that reason is, and you're not really explaining that bit.

Upvote 0
yeah sure , I just have to briefly review one by one - everyday, It's part of my project, every excel file was a complex template excel file which I've worked on , so needs to comeback daily and review them , sometimes change things.
That's a lot of waiting time for those files to finish loading, before I open new file I need to close the former.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You did not say what Excel file format you are using.
If not .xlsb format you could try experimenting to see if that format makes any difference.
If I remember correctly, the file size could be smaller and they would open quicker.

Upvote 0
thanks for the assistance,
Memory upgrade is my best hope so far, with that I hope to have a computer with 70 files open all the time, I couldn't use this computer for anything else, If I can have fast 5 seconds load time I could use it for everything,
I'm using office 2016 64X, Xlsm files - I can try I just hope it wont mess with my macros and formulas , the macro search for xlsm files so It will be endless effort to start change everything if this is the case.
It feels like the best solution is a fast laptop for 5 sec opening a file, but If my brother's laptop is one of the best and it gives 8.5 sec, I really can't bring something much better, and for the 70 files opening machine - I guess I'll need a 32GB laptop - SSD , 7700Hq, and pay the 1800$ for it . just for excel what a shock.

Upvote 0
mmm... about the upgrade of the machine
I can get rid of the 2 4GB I have ,and buy 2 8 GB - having 16 GB. also, I can Install SSD 256 GB , don't know what will be better but I might do both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back