Identifying specific text from two conditions from a line of text

Rav_Singh

Would appreciate if someone may be able to assist me with my Excel problem.

I have been given an exhausting row of raw data (250,000+) from which I need to try and unravel key indicators. As such I require to extract specific text from two conditions in a string.

An example is below;

query=litigation&rm_within_search=&sort_index_dir_sortby=rel&sort_order_dir_sortby=ascending&rm_taxonomy_dir_loc_office=Hong+kong&resultsize=100

From this example I require to extract into another cell any text between _taxonomy_ and =. In this case I would like to identify and extract "dir_loc_office" into another cell.

The code I thought would work was below, however I believe as '=' is used multiple times in the text this may be why my formula didnt work.

=MID(A3,SEARCH("_taxonomy_",A3)+LEN("_taxonomy_"),SEARCH("=",A3)-SEARCH("_taxonomy_",A3)-LEN("_taxonomy_"))

As '=' is used different times depending on the text, I require a code that identifies the specific '=' after the first condition _taxonomy_ is used.

Alas this formula is beyond me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Try:
=MID(A1,FIND("_taxonomy_",A1,1)+10,LEN(A1)-FIND("=",A1,FIND("_taxonomy_",A1,1))-10-1)

Change the A1 to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Firstly many thanks for replying to my first post on here. Greatly appreciated.

Your code works perfectly for that scenario however unfortunately for other lines of text, the result provides texts outside of that range.

For the example below if I apply that formula;

query=rita&rm_within_search=&sort_index_dir_sortby=rel&sort_order_dir_sortby=ascending&rm_taxonomy_dir_org_practice_area=Hong+kong+%28litigation%29&resultsize=100

The result I get is: dir_org_practice_area=Hong+kon

I wonder if there is a way I can get the text I require (in this case dir_org_practice_area) from the range specified without getting any additional text (in this case Hong+kon) regardless of the length of the string beyond the range specified.

Again many thanks for investing time in this.

Upvote 0
Try: =MID(A1,FIND("_taxonomy_",A1,1)+10,FIND("=",A1,FIND("_taxonomy_",A1,1))-FIND("_taxonomy_",A1,1)-10)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back