IF Statement with Vlookup including Blank Cell

Its_All_Dinx

Hello All

I normal only search the forum for help but no one seems to have answered my burning question.

I would like a Formula but just cannot work out how to do this.

(Small Story) - I have a spread sheet/ data base and I am trying to work out if I put in the fleet number it will tell me some info about the coach, but if the fleet number is blank and I put in the number plate of the coach I want it to return info about the coach

so I need a formula that will look at the first cell for data but if the first cell is blank it will look at the 2nd cell and which ever one has data it will then run the vlookup

If needed I can attached the spread sheet.(not sure how to do this)

This is my currently Formula but it only reads from one cell
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B5,'FULL Fleet List'!$A$2:$E$2295,1,FALSE),"No Match Found")

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
The formula you provided doesn't make sense to me as your lookup value (B5) is inside your table array (A2:E2995). I would think you would be specifying fleet number / plate number outside the table array and returning a result.

Using INDEX/MATCH simplifies this problem greatly, especially since the column you're returning values from is the same in both cases. Assuming your coach info is in the range B2:B2295 (based on your formula):

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(B6:B8,IF(NOT(ISBLANK(B1)),MATCH(B1,A6:A8,0),MATCH(B2,C6:C8,0))),"Not found.")

I am using NOT(ISBLANK(REF)) to test if the first cell is not empty (you could also just test if it's empty and then reverse the order of the lookups.

This goes on the assumption that Plate Number is column C. Also, I've shifted your table down a few rows to put the lookup cells above.

lCK65xb.jpg

UpCCC4o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Below is the table I am using

I was just thinking would I be able to use just one cell where I input the fleet number or number plate and it returns all the info below.

At the same time if I enter just the fleet number it shows the number plate and vice versa.
Fleet Number
VRM Number
Number of Seats
BUS Type
BYD1472
LJ16EZN
Garage 1
Yes
Double Decker
BYD1473
LJ16EZO
Garage 1
yes
Double Decker
BYD1474
LJ16EZP
Garage 2
Yes
Double Decker
BYD1475
LJ16EZR
Garage 2
yes
Double Decker
VWH2115
LK15CXP
Garage 3
Yes
Double Decker
VWH2114
LK15CXO
Garage 3
yes
Double Decker
VWH2112
LK15CXM
Garage 4
Yes
Double Decker
VWH2111
LK15CXL
Garage 4
yes
Double Decker
VWH2103
LK15CXB
Garage 5
Yes
Double Decker
VWH2093
LK15CWP
Garage 5
yes
Double Decker

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Either way, the basic principle of the suggested formula remains a valid solution. In the sheet below, I have lookups in D2:G2 to return the data from a row based on either Fleet # or VRM #. The formula is:

Code:
=IFERROR(IFNA(INDEX(D6:D15,MATCH($C$2,$C$6:$C$15,0)),INDEX(D6:D15,MATCH($C$2,$B$6:$B$15,0))),"No match.")

Basically it boils down to this: Lookup VRM # (C6:C15) and if there is no match (#N/A), then lookup on Fleet # (D6:D15) and if there is no match for that, return "No match."

JWiByXX.jpg

In case you're not familiar with INDEX & MATCH, it basically splits up what VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP does into separate components and gives you a lot more flexibility. INDEX is the range of values from which you want to return a value; the first argument of MATCH is your lookup value, the second argument is the lookup array (where you want to find the lookup value), and the match type is 0 (exact) or 1 (<=) or -1 (>=).

Upvote 0
Hi Indystick

Thank You very much for your help,

I have never used index and match in my life. I had to get my head around this and link it to a spread sheet on a different page.

I will have to experiment and learn the index and match function in more detail

Upvote 0
You bet. Pretty much everyone uses INDEX/MATCH once they learn it. There are a couple of reasons it's vastly superior to VLOOKUP / HLOOKUP:

1) Your lookup array (where you're matching) and index array (where you're retrieving) do not have to the same orientation, simply the same array length. For example, your index array could be A1:A5 (a column of values) and your match array could be B1:F1 (a row of values) and it still works.

2) Your lookup array does not need to be in the first column of the table as it does with VLU; nor the top row as it does with HLU.

3) You can do two dimensional lookups (matching on two criteria) where you match on a row and a column and retrieve the value at the intersection.

4) One additional match type - greater than or equal to (not data has to be in descending order for this one to work).

5) Your data doesn't need to be in a table at all. For example, you could have your match array on entirely different worksheet than your index array and it still works.

Learn it! You'll love it!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back