IFERROR & VALUE Help (need to convert numbers from text to value, but when there is a space instead of 7 there is a 07 it doesnt work.)

Lou Pointspreads

Hey Folks,

Newbie to the community here, trying to update weekly football scores that i copy and paste from a website. (covers.com)

The football scores come in this format W/L (win or loss) and the score with a hyphen in the middle.

"L 31-33" would be a loss as the team scored 31 points and allowed 33 points against.

So i only need 31 in one cell and 33 in another.

I used a =LEFT((+RIGHT(I3,5)),2) to get the two digits on the left, points for without the L o the space next to it.
I used a +RIGHT(I3,2) to get the two digits on the right.

They return as a string, so i needed to use VALUE to turn them back into numbers.

=VALUE(LEFT((+RIGHT(I3,5)),2))
=VALUE(+RIGHT(I3,2))

so i figured this would work, and it did sort of. Except for when the score was of a single digit, say 0-9 because it includes a preceding space which value is unable to convert back to a number.

The formula works fine if i manually fix the score to "07" instead of 7, but who has time to manually anything these days.

I wanted to use an IFERROR, and did the following with no luck:

=IFERROR(VALUE(LEFT((+RIGHT(I15,5)),2)),VALUE(LEFT((+RIGHT(I15,5)),1)))

I also have a side question regarding replacing numbers, without using the manual prompt.

I have a cell who generates a number lets say 8.5, but that is not posible to do by the way football points are scored, 10 makes more sense. The same would happen if you got 11.5, 10 or 13 are more likely. Then, 14,17,20,21,23,24,27,28,31, 33, 35, 38, 41.

So i would need say like a side chart, perhaps a Vlookup of all the values and what they should round to in the football world. I am just thinking there has to be a more efficient way.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that reads this.

Cheers

Lou

ulm96bE

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi,

If you copied and pasted your data from a website, chances are that's Not a normal "Space" after the L, but a "non-breaking space", that's why using VALUE didn't work.

Try this:

Book1
ABC
1L 31-333133
2L 0-909
Sheet348
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,CHAR(160)," "),"-"," ")," ",REPT(" ",30)),COLUMNS($B1:B1)*30,30)+0

Formula copied down and across.

Don't understand the 2nd part of your question...

Upvote 0
AWESOME THIS SORCERY WORKED WONDERS!!!:) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I follow the non breaking space, i had dealt with it once before. I remember the character 160 part.

What does the triple nested substitution do, or work? just to learn if you don't mind.

I follow the substitute the - hyphen with a blank, then " " the space, REPT?

what does that part do? REPT(" ", 30) what does the 30 mean?

Columns i get, but then *30,30)+0.

I guess the 30 is throwing me off, i didn't follow after it.

The second part of the question was, how do you round a number to a pre set amount.

Let's say everytime there is a number from 0-8.5 you round to 7. Everytime there is a 9-11.5 you round to 10. 12-13.5 round to 13. 14-16.5 you round to 14. 17 to 19 you round to 17.

I was thinking of having all values on a two column chart. and linking it via Vlookup. But that seemed like an extra step.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Lou

Hi,

If you copied and pasted your data from a website, chances are that's Not a normal "Space" after the L, but a "non-breaking space", that's why using VALUE didn't work.

Try this:

ABC
1L 31-333133
2L 0-909

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet348

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,CHAR(160)," "),"-"," ")," ",REPT(" ",30)),COLUMNS($B1:B1)*30,30)+0

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula copied down and across.

Don't understand the 2nd part of your question...

Upvote 0
Hi again,

Follow this thread for my explanation regarding the formula in Post # 2, pay special attention to Post # 22 here:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...-how-can-nth-element-referenced-formulas.html

To answer your 2nd question, if you Don't want to build a table, use this per your description:

Book1
AB
Sheet348
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4=LOOKUP(A4,{0,9,12,14,17},{7,10,13,14,17})

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back