Ignore Duplicate Entries on (dynamic) Data Validation List

irmaosver

First of all I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my question, I have looked everywhere for a solution with no avail, without further ado, here is the problem:
Suppose we have three columns as below: (I am using Excel 2010)

Code:
ID  Sys Code

1   Roma    A4
2   Roma    A5
2   Roma    A5
2   Roma    A7
2   Lima    A7
3   Lima    B1
4   Lima    C1
4   Lima    D3
4   Lima    D5
5   Alpha   E9
6   Alpha   E2

As observed from the above, all columns may contain duplicates, the goal is to have three cells in a different sheet where data validation lists would be used. A typical scenario would be:

User selects the ID (e.g. 2), then on the next cell he selects the Sys (e.g. Roma), this list would be filtered according to the ID selected on the previous cell (only "Roma" and "Lima" shown), lastly, he selects the Code, this would be filtered according to the Sys selected (only "A5" and "A7" shown).
The approach which I am currently using is to have a separate list of only unique IDs, this is being used on the first validation list, then on the second validation list I am using the below formula to select the respective Sys:

<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, serif;">=OFFSET(IDS_Start,MATCH(A1,IDS,0)-2,1,COUNTIF(IDS,A1),1
</code>
Where IDS_Start is a reference to the first ID in my list, IDS a reference to the entire column ID and A1 is the cell in which the user selects the ID.

The problem with the above is that it will result in duplicates to be displayed on the second validation list, is there a way around this ? A helping hand would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back