Ignoring #VALUE errors in a formula?

noahd

So I am using the following formula to take a data set and standardize it between 0 and 1:

=(U2-MIN(U$2:U$301))/(MAX(U$2:U$301)-MIN(U$2:U$301))

I have a data set I want to use the above formula on, BUT it has #VALUE ! errors in the set. I want the formula to just run the calculation for each normal piece of the data set and just ignore the #VALUE errors. I don't want to delete the #VALUE errors and I don't want to find and replace them with something else.

How do I alter the above formula to accomplish this?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the Board!

If you just want to ignore the error, and don't care about addressing the root cause, you can use IFERROR:

=IFERROR((U2-MIN(U$2:U$301))/(MAX(U$2:U$301)-MIN(U$2:U$301)),0)

Or substitute "" (nothing) for 0.

Just note that IFERROR is a blanket error handler, so it will suppress all errors.

HTH,

Upvote 0
This does not seem to work.

When I enter =IFERROR((U2-MIN(U$2:U$301))/(MAX(U$2:U$301)-MIN(U$2:U$301)),0)

into the equation box it spits out

<style><!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";}@page {margin:.75in .7in .75in .7in; mso-header-margin:.3in; mso-footer-margin:.3in;}td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:black; font-size:12.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Calibri, sans-serif; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;}.xl65 {mso-number-format:"_-\0022$\0022* \#\,\#\#0\.00_-\;\\-\0022$\0022* \#\,\#\#0\.00_-\;_-\0022$\0022* \0022-\0022??_-\;_-\@_-";}--></style>
<nobr></nobr><nobr></nobr>
$ -

<colgroup><col width="65" style="width:65pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
<!--StartFragment-->
<!--EndFragment-->
</tbody>

in the relevant excel cell. So something isn't working...

Upvote 0
I think you're going to have to adjust the formulas in U2:U301 so that they return 0 or even "" instead of #Value ! errors.
What is that formula?

Upvote 0
The Formula there is:

=LEFT(TEXT(L2,"???/???"),FIND("/",TEXT(L2,"???/???"))-1)+0

It is taking the basketball statistic of FTM/FTA and extracting the FTM from that and putting it into this column. I don't want to eliminate the #value errors if possible because there are also 0s in the set that I DO want to count, but I DON'T want to count any 0's that are due to value errors because that will throw off the data.

Upvote 0
We don't have to make it return 0 instead of #Value !
We could make it return ""

=IFERROR(LEFT(TEXT(L2,"???/???"),FIND("/",TEXT(L2,"???/???"))-1)+0,"")

Then your Min and Max functions will not error due to the existence of #Value ! errors in the range.

Upvote 0
So I am using the following formula to take a data set and standardize it between 0 and 1:

=(U2-MIN(U$2:U$301))/(MAX(U$2:U$301)-MIN(U$2:U$301))

I have a data set I want to use the above formula on, BUT it has #VALUE ! errors in the set. I want the formula to just run the calculation for each normal piece of the data set and just ignore the #VALUE errors. I don't want to delete the #VALUE errors and I don't want to find and replace them with something else.

How do I alter the above formula to accomplish this?

Create a new column and try formula =if(ISNUMBER(a2),b2,1) - this took out #value for me

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back