Index and Match error

jazzista

Board Regular
Hellol everyone. I have a trial balance and a list of journal entries: I am trying to retrive the values coming from the journal entries table to the trial balance by the voucher number. I using index and match with an array but i am getting #NAs . Dont know what i am doing wrong in the formula. Any help on retriving the values to the trial balance is greatly appreciated. I am using excel 2016. Regards. See link for the file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmygmec42klzwkn/Journal entries group.xlsx?dl=0

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

sandy666

you concatenating numbers like 900 & 10 (900-10) but lookin' for 900-010
etc...

change B column to text format, correct lenght to 3 digits (with zeroes) then concatenate

Last edited:

sandy666

or use =BASE(B4,10,3) in additional column then concatenate A & addtional column

sandy666

you can try this
Code:
=IFNA(INDEX('adj vouchers'!$L$3:$L$59,MATCH(A4&"-"&BASE(B4,10,3),'adj vouchers'!$C$3:$C$59,0),MATCH('adj vouchers'!$K$3:$K$59,'trial balance'!$G$3:$N$3)),"")
with CSE

edit:
if your Excel doesn't support IFNA() or/and BASE() use IFERROR() or/and TEXT(B4,"000") suitably

Last edited:

jazzista

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy 666. Good morning. I am going to try your formulas. thaks for the quick reply. Just curiuos : what does the BASE function do? I have never used it before!

jim may

<section class="ocpArticleTitleSection" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-size: 10px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; max-width: 768px;">BASE function

</section> <section class="supAppliesToSection" dir="ltr" aria-label="This article" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-size: 10px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; margin: -9px auto 40px; max-width: 768px;" ms.cmpgrp="applies_to"> Excel for Office 365 Excel for Office 365 for Mac Excel 2019 Excel 2016 Excel 2019 for Mac Excel 2013 Excel 2016 for Mac Excel for Mac 2011 Excel Online Excel for iPad Excel for iPhone Excel for Android tablets Excel for Android phones Excel Mobile Less

</section> <article class="ocpArticleContent" id="ocpArticleContent" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-size: 10px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-top: 20px; max-width: 768px;"> <section class="ocpIntroduction" style="box-sizing: border-box;"> This article describes the formula syntax and usage of the BASE function in Microsoft Excel.
</section> <section class="ocpSection" style="box-sizing: border-box;"> Description

Converts a number into a text representation with the given radix (base).
</section></article>

jazzista

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Mr Jim.

jazzista

Board Regular
Hi Sandy666: the formula somehow works: its retrieving all the journal entries for the each journal entry number in one column : I was expecting for each journal entry number its correspondent scalar value on each of their columns. For example, I was expecting on column G which is voucher number 42019, the amounts related to that particular journal entry (186k,285k and -472K only ) .Take a look the file. Thanks in advance for your help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmygmec42klzwkn/Journal entries group.xlsx?dl=0

sandy666

I correct your formula against errors only, nothing more
I didn't read your needs so you need to wait for someone else to get a solution

there are many formula masters ;)

Last edited:

jazzista

Board Regular
Yes Agreed! Lets see what the array masters would resolve this. Thanks anyway for introducing the BASE function to me. Pretty handy formula!

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robyrux

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...