Index Match help needed

colmsmyth

Hi all

I have a report that is run at regular intervals, when it is run I need to comment on the findings, then at the next run I want to pull across the identical comments for the same previous finding.

The column structure is as follows for when it is first run on Monday

DomainIssuesComment
Form1Something is wrongNo its not

<tbody>
</tbody>

Next when its run on Friday

DomainIssuesComment
Form1Something is wrong

Form1Form is missing item 2
Form2Form is not complete

<tbody>
</tbody>

So you can see that I have two new records between Monday and Friday runs but the original record from Monday is missing the comment.

I have had some success with Index/match on this but it seems to go wrong if the records don't link up or something. Key point here are that 'Domain' and 'Issues' columns are to be considered key variable as the same comment might exist for multiple domains.

Hope you can help.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
with your first report on sheet1 and the next report on sheet2 comments in column C. This is an array formula and must be committed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER. If done correctly excel will but {} around the formula.
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$3,MATCH(Sheet2!A2&Sheet2!B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$3&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$3,0)),"")

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, I have tried this but it doesn't work....See below my actual tables

The value of 0 is returned rather than the comment, any ideas ?

Sheet 1

DOMAINISSUECOMMENT
AEAEACN value not found in 'Action Taken with Study Treatment' non-extensible codelist0
AENULL value in AEDECOD variable marked as Required
AEAE start date is after the latest Disposition date
AEModel permissible variable added into standard domain
AEPermissible variable with missing value for all records
AENo Treatment Emergent info for Adverse Event
CMModel permissible variable added into standard domain

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2

DOMAINISSUECOMMENT
AEAEACN value not found in 'Action Taken with Study Treatment' non-extensible codelistThis is due to the ongoing nature of the trial. Definitive disposition events will be attained once subjects complete the trial or early terminate from the trial
AENULL value in AEDECOD variable marked as RequiredEPOCH added to subject-level domains
AEAE start date is after the latest Disposition dateThis can be clarified with the analysis team, to ensure treatment-emergent flags are derived on an ADaM level
AEModel permissible variable added into standard domainData Issue: Coding values missing for 2 AE's for subject HBI-8000-302/020103. To be followed-up with DTL
AEPermissible variable with missing value for all recordsNot all qualifiers for serious AE populated yet. Due to ongoing nature of the study
AENo Treatment Emergent info for Adverse EventIssues:

1. Why was AEACN removed? This is an expected variable and cannot be removed from the domain model. AEACN should be mapped relative to the IMP (which is the HBI-8000 drug) and then the other item on the eCRF can be mapped to a supplemental qualif
CMModel permissible variable added into standard domainEPOCH added to subject-level domains

<colgroup><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

with your first report on sheet1 and the next report on sheet2 comments in column C. This is an array formula and must be committed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER. If done correctly excel will but {} around the formula.
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$3,MATCH(Sheet2!A2&Sheet2!B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$3&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$3,0)),"")

Upvote 0
If it is returning 0 then the match was found but the comment cell was blank. Are all comments on the same row as the Domain and issue?

Upvote 0
Scott's formula is working for me. Make sure that you adjust the ranges in the formula to fit your data.

Upvote 0
Hi both

Sorry for the delay coming back...I managed to get Scott's example working on the data tables I provided originally however no matter what I do....if I expand the tables the code will not work....

Can I make the code work for say 1000 rows static.... ?even if these returns a load of 0's on empty rows...See below, only one new comment came over
SHEET1

DomainIssuesComment
Form3Form is not completesomething 1
Form4Form is not completesomething 2
Form5Form is not completesomething 3

</tbody>

SHEET2

DomainIssuesComment
Form1Form is missing item 2
Form2Form is not complete
Form3Form is not completesomething 1
Form4Form is not complete
Form5Form is not complete
Form6Form is not complete
Form7Form is not complete
Form8Form is not complete

</tbody>

Thanks

Colm

Scott's formula is working for me. Make sure that you adjust the ranges in the formula to fit your data.

Upvote 0
If you want to make the formula work for 1000 rows of data, simply change each "3" in the formula to "1001".

I said 1001 instead of 1000 because the data starts on row 2.

The formula would then become:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1001,MATCH(Sheet2!A2&Sheet2!B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1001&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1001,0)),"") Ctrl Shift Enter

Since the formula is on Sheet2, you can get rid of "Sheet2!" in the formula leaving you with:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1001,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1001&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1001,0)),"") Ctrl Shift Enter

Upvote 0
You should only have to change the ranges referring to sheet1 so may be $C$2:$C$1001
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1![COLOR=#ff0000]$C$2:$C$3[/COLOR],MATCH(Sheet2!A2&Sheet2!B2,Sheet1![COLOR=#ff0000]$A$2:$A$3[/COLOR]&Sheet1![COLOR=#ff0000]$B$2:$B$3[/COLOR],0)),"")

Upvote 0
Thanks a million....it just didn't want to work for me...very odd but it is now working ....

Thanks to you also Scott....your reply also the same...both working

:)

If you want to make the formula work for 1000 rows of data, simply change each "3" in the formula to "1001".

I said 1001 instead of 1000 because the data starts on row 2.

The formula would then become:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1001,MATCH(Sheet2!A2&Sheet2!B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1001&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1001,0)),"") Ctrl Shift Enter

Since the formula is on Sheet2, you can get rid of "Sheet2!" in the formula leaving you with:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1001,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1001&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1001,0)),"") Ctrl Shift Enter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back