Index Match / Look Up - same data point in different rows

ExcelUser18

Excuse the vague title. I have a giant spreadsheet in a similar format below. This is a rent roll which I need to be able to search for the Tenant Name but also search for the specific billing type (for example "Rent"). For Tenant 1, it would be very easy to search for Tenant 1 (cell B3) and billing type "Rent" (cell F3) incorporated in a lookup/index-match formula. The issue is when the Billing Type "Rent" does not match up with the Tenant name (example: Tenant 2 and "Rent" do not match up). Additionally, sorting it would cause confusion because then all the other billing types dedicated to that specific tenant would be thrown out of whack.

Is there anyway to search for "Rent" and apply it the appropriate "Tenant"?

Please note the Letters on top and the numbers on the left indicate the location in teh spreadsheet. I tried pasting it from my excel template but if there are any questions re: my inquiry, please feel free to sound off!

ABCDEFG
TenantHeader 1Header 2Header 3Billing TypeHeader 5
3Tenant 1xxRentx
4xxUtilitiesx
5xxMiscx
6xxPetx
7xxParkingx
8Tenant 2xxUtilitiesx
9xxParkingx
10xxPetx
11xxMiscx
12xxRentx
13Tenant 3xxRentx
14xxUtilitiesx
15xxMiscx
16xxParkingx
17xxMiscx
18Tenant 4xxPetx
19xxRentx
20xxMiscx
21xxUtilitiesx
22xxParkingx
23Tenant 5xxUtilitiesx
24xxRentx
25xxMiscx
26xxPetx
27xxParkingx
28Tenant 6xxParkingx
29xxRentx
30xxMiscx
31xxPetx
32xxUtilitiesx

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Is there any reason why you cannot just duplicate the Tenant name in Column B? E.g. cells B3:B7 would be 'Tenant 1'?

Upvote 0
Is there any reason why you cannot just duplicate the Tenant name in Column B? E.g. cells B3:B7 would be 'Tenant 1'?

The spreadsheet is thousands of rows long with several hundred tenants. Also, this is 1 spreadsheet out of almost a dozen. Copying and pasting the tenant name, over and over, would be mind numbingly long.

Also in my spreadsheet, I used 5 different billing types but in reality, they vary from 2 types per tenant up to 7 types per tenant. Even if I could regiment a copy and paste every few lines, it still wouldn't work out because of the varying rows/tenant. If there is a different formula for that (a totally different request) that would be great.

Upvote 0
There is a quick way to insert the tenant text automatically:
1) Highlight the Tenant range
2) CTRL G - special, blanks, OK
3) This will place the active cell as B4. Enter "=" and then press the upward arrow (effectively cell B4 will say '=B3')
4) Press control + Enter (not just enter). This will insert the appropriate Tenant name for each cell in Column B

Upvote 0
There is a quick way to insert the tenant text automatically:
1) Highlight the Tenant range
2) CTRL G - special, blanks, OK
3) This will place the active cell as B4. Enter "=" and then press the upward arrow (effectively cell B4 will say '=B3')
4) Press control + Enter (not just enter). This will insert the appropriate Tenant name for each cell in Column B

.....Unbelievable. Bravo to you sir, you fixed an issue that has caused me heartache for quite some time. Granted this is the easier fix (as I have a few more steps to modify the spreadsheet) but fantastic. Thanks again for your time and help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbito

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back