is it just me or is excel for mac chock full of bugs?

kylefoley76

there are some software that i use everyday, are highly complex, and to mind work almost perfectly. these are: chrome browser, pycharm, mac os. i have had very few problems with these apps. pycharm, for example, i would say, crashes about once every two months and it is simply an enormously powerful app. the same cannot be said for excel for mac 2016. i've been using that app since as far back as i can remember and it has always been enormously bug prone. excel for mac 2011 would crash roughly once a day, if not more than that. i was hoping that by upgrading to the 2016 version that they would finally bring it to perfection just like chrome browser or pycharm, but alas they have not! they have gotten rid of some bugs but only introduced others! it still crashes once a day if not more. the software in some areas is only a very minor improvement over excel for mac 2011, but given the fact that they've introduced bugs elsewhere, it is even tempting to say that the current excel for mac is even worse than the 2011 version! am i the only one who is making this observation or have others noticed this as well?

Speed's fine for what I sue it for (Mainly Excel and a bit of .Net development, but I've got a windows machine for that). I honestly haven't noticed any speed differences between native and a VM, but I do have an expensive MacBook Pro with a good processor and a boatload of RAM so ymmv. It's obviously not going to be as fast as bare metal since it's virtualised, but you could always dual boot if you need performance (or any heavy graphics) - virtualisation is all about convenience. I do a lot of web development and it's useful to be able to fire up different windows VMs with differing versions of IE for testing.

My copy of vmware is a couple of years old and I bought it at the time since it out benchmarked parallels, but things may have changed - I haven't looked for a while since I have no real desire to change - my windows usage is very light. There's a pretty good objective view here: https://www.softwarehow.com/best-virtual-machine/ though I don't have a link with benchmarks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
We use Oracle VirtualBox (in article-no link) on a Win7 PC (https://www.virtualbox.org/) and run a VM software build environment. I fire it up over Remote Desktop to build customer installers without issues.
It's also open source.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back