Is it possible to change the target cell's value (Value A)base on another value (Value X)entered?

suicidalporcupine

Board Regular
Can someone please help me on this or at least show me the link on how to get started?

I am thinking of going paperless with check in and check out through excel + barcode scanner. So right now I have a master list of all the cases we have in the office.

My idea is to first type in their name which will become Value X(Andrew), then they will scan the barcode (located on the folder) Excel will search in column A and determine that the scanned barcode matches with the barcode located in A2(example), Excel will then change the cell F2 value to the name of the person.

[From the understanding, whenever you have excel sheet open. and whenever you scan the barcode, excel will enter it as if you typed the set of numbers yourself].

BarcodeCase NamePropertyEmailDateLocation
123001Ernie v. BurtAndrew
123002B. Bird v. TrasherDaniel
123003Taco v. Burger
123004Mary v. JaneGina

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi there.
The way I would go on this is to create a simple form activated with a button on your worksheet which has 2 input fields. First field will have the name input (why not give each person a card with their name as a barcode so they dont have to type it - avoids errors and increases consistency). The second field will then have the barcode scanned in. You can create some very simple code behind the form so that once both fields are populated, you can find the barcode in column A and populate column F on the same line. If you need help with this get back to me and I will put something together, but it may take a while.

Regards
John

Upvote 0
Thanks that is a more doable idea.

Can the 2 input have 1 entry for the name, Barcode/keyboard in case they say they forgot the ID, and then for 2nd entry will have the option continually scan for more items, and select Finish when they are done.

but then what if the same person decide to return the item(s) can excel remove the name, if the barcode and name match?

1. Scan Name
2. Scan item,
- if Column F is blank, add Scanned name.
- if Column F matches scanned name, remove same name.
3. Select Finish/Complete to Exit

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there.
The way I would go on this is to create a simple form activated with a button on your worksheet which has 2 input fields. First field will have the name input (why not give each person a card with their name as a barcode so they dont have to type it - avoids errors and increases consistency). The second field will then have the barcode scanned in. You can create some very simple code behind the form so that once both fields are populated, you can find the barcode in column A and populate column F on the same line. If you need help with this get back to me and I will put something together, but it may take a while.

Regards
John

Yes please help me

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfhw720

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back