Issue: combining multiple workbooks with same table names

spydey

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a template (*.xltm) which has a few different tables in it, each table is named based upon what it is used for.

Example: tblDates; tblLocations; tblStatus; etc

A number of in-cell formulas reference the tables by name and their contents.

When I save the file, it gives it a unique file name. I then go back and use the template to generate a different file; etc etc.

I then combine all of the different workbooks into a single workbook, so that I have all of the different files in one single workbook.

However, this has caused a problem. Due to all of the files having the same tables and the tables all named the same, when copied over to the same workbook, the table names are being changed automatically.

What used to be tblDates is now tblDates2, tblDates3 .... tblDates432, etc.

This is happening to all of my tables.

The issue is that the incell formulas are now referencing tables not pertaining to that specific worksheet's tables.

I have no idea how to stop or correct this. Normally I can think of something to circumvent the issue, but nothing is coming to mind.

Any ideas on how to avoid this issue?

-Spydey

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I had a thought: my worksheets are unique names, numerical. Example 14586. There are no duplicate worksheets when I combine them all into a single workbook.

What if I had some code to that automatically added the sheet name (unique number) to the end of every table in the worksheet when it is initially generated from the template?

I would also have to update my formulas to reference the table name correctly too .......

So basically, I input a number into cell B2. I have some code that upon changes to the worksheet, captures that number and renames the worksheet to that number.

I would need some code that does the same thing but renames the tables to include that number at the end, and then the incell formulas would need to reference the same tables. So basically my table names would be "dynamic" and my incell formulas would be "dynamic" too, so that if I change the number in B2, everything changes accordingly and correctly.

Would this automatically update any Data Validation lists I have sourcing from those same tables?

-Spydey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back