Issue with unprotecting main sheet

ave10

Board Regular
I have a couple of protected worksheets in a workbook and when I right-click on the sheet name and unprotect the sheet, columns I have specifically protected in that sheet, go back to being protected after I do one action on the sheet. That one "action" could be, clicking into a cell that has a formula, which was previously protected, making a slight adjustment to the formula, clicking enter, then the sheet will go back to being protected and I have unprotect it again. It can even be, after unprotecting the sheet, I move from cell C4 and click on cell F8, the sheet will go back to being protected. I know the password, I enter it successfully every time and I've locked other columns in specific worksheets with the same password. Almost every sheet, has some vba code in it.

Is there a way to permanently unprotect these sheets? Or am I doing something wrong when I try to unprotect them?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
This is the code that is posted in the main sheet I want to unprotect. The sheet is called "JE":
Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim MySheet As String
Worksheets("JE").Protect Password:="ImportLCPA17", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
    On Error GoTo Done:
    If Target.Column = 6 And Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
        MySheet = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Target.Offset(0, -2).Value, Sheets("ref_list").Range("$C$1:$D$17"), 2, 0)
        Sheets(MySheet).Visible = True
        Sheets(MySheet).Activate
    End If

Done:
Sheets("acct_codes").Visible = 0
'Sheets("deptlookup").Visible = 0

'Call Back_to_JE

End Sub

This is the code in the 'ThisWorkbook' object:
Code:
Sub hideAllSheets()

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets

If ws.Name <> ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Name Then

ws.Visible = xlSheetHidden
    End If

Next ws
End Sub

If this wasn't what you were looking for or would like other code/info. let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You say that "after I do one action on the sheet"

The Event-Code Worksheet_SelectionChange instructs Excel to "FIRE" and run the code therein if you only click a single cell (make a selection) on the Worksheet, so that is why things are going the way you describe.

This is the Line that is immediately Re-Protecting Your Sheet: Worksheets("JE").Protect Password:="ImportLCPA17", UserInterfaceOnly:=True

Upvote 0
Thank you, Jim. I commented that line out and it seems to be working now.

I do have one more question, however. In my sheet "JE", I have two columns, columns E & G that have formulas and I ONLY want to lock/protect the cells in those columns. Would you happen to know how I can just lock/protect those rows?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
You mention originally selecting cell F8. Since cell F8 is in Column 6 this meets the criteria (as true) of the remaining code still active. Im a light-weight on your last Q, so unable to help. Perhaps someone else can assist you. One last observation... the code on the THISWORKBOOK looks to me like it belongs in a standard module. You need to determine if you actually need this macro and how/when to call it.
Good luck. Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back