Keyboard shortcuts not working

NewOrderFac33

Good morning, - as a Lotus 123 veteran (!) I still use a lot of keyboard shortcuts within Excel such as Alt+f (File) followed by c to close the active workbook.
Whilst these work most of the time, sometimes they don't and the above sequence will result in a "c" appearing in the active cell, and I have to use the X button to close the workbook instead.
Another is Alt-o c w to adjust a column width /row height that leaves me with a w.
Whilst not a massive inconvenience, I'm curious to identifiy the circumstances or settings that might make this happen. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Andrew Fergus

MrExcel MVP
I still use occasional Alt+? shortcuts and sometimes see the same issue (especially Alt-D-F-F to turn on autofilters). I see this most often on wireless keyboards where the keystrokes are too fast and/or it is not recognising the Alt key press (but then I also sometimes see it on the laptop keyboard). I wonder if there is some other process trying to interpret the keystroke which is preventing it from happening as intended. I also see the same if I am using an Alt shortcut where I haven't used one in a while, whereas subsequent attempts always work. I find that if you slow it down by half a second and confirm the shortcut keys have appeared on the Excel menu before pressing the next key, then I have fewer issues with the few legacy shortcuts that I use.

I recommend learning the native shortcuts. For example to close the active workbook press Ctrl+W (new workbook is Ctrl+N, print is Ctrl+P, open is Ctrl+O, save is Ctrl+S etc.). I know that doesn't help for your favourite keystroke shortcuts and it is "hard to teach an old dog new tricks" but once you get the hang of the new shortcuts, I reckon you will find some of them will be easier. FYI here is a resource on shortcuts (which also has alt shortcuts!): https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Excel-1798d9d5-842a-42b8-9c99-9b7213f0040f

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linford

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...