Link Will Not Break

TrevP

I have been working on an Excel doc with lots of complicated VBA code that I didn't write. In order to prevent screw-ups, I save new versions frequently. Recently, I had the most recent version open and also opened a past version. Somehow, something must have happened because now the most recent version is linked to the old version.

I went to Data/Connections/Edit Links and tried to break link or change source, but when I do, it doesn't get rid of the link or give an error message. It just doesn't do anything. I've looked in Name Manager to see if any names are linked to the old sheet, but none are. I've Ctrl+F in the Excel worksheet and in VBA to try and find a reference to the old sheet, but there are none.

Every time I open the most recent version, it asks me if I would like to update links or not. I'm not sure why Excel isn't letting me break the link or where/how the link even formed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
One place stubborn links can hide is in Conditional Formatting formulas. This can happen if you copy-paste cells with CF from another workbook into your workbook.

Try using a divide and conquer approach on a copy of your workbook to isolate the problem. First delete sheets to identify which sheet seems to be the cause of the link. Then within that sheet try deleting entire columns until the link disappears. Finally find the row. If you have a lot of rows, delete half then half again to track down the problem row(s).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back