Loan repayment calculator

BrutalLogiC

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
hope someone can help, trying to work out how much I would need to pay each month for a loan/mortgage

loan value 32,5000,000
interest rate 3%
term 15 years

I'm trying to work out what the formula would be to work out how much interest payments only would be each month

also would the formula would be to work out interest and full loan value payments

I can find calculators on the internet giving me the answer 81,208 and 224,415 (or thereabouts) but is there a formula I can enter?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I assume the loan value is 32,500,000.

For an interest-only payment, the amount is simply the monthly interest based on the principal. That would be =32500000*3%/12, which is 81,250, not 81,208.

(81,208 would be the interest-only payment for a loan of 32,483,200, to wit: =81208*12/3%. Alternatively, the annual rate might not be exactly 3%, and/or the monthly rate might be caluclated differently; there are several methods in common usage.)

For the common amortization of the loan based on the actuarial method, which pays all interest and some principal each month until the outstanding balance is zero, the monthly payment is:

=PMT(3%/12, 15*12, -32500000)

which is about 224,439, not 224,415.

(Again, the difference could be due a different principal, a more-precise annual rate, and/or a different method of calculating the monthly rate.)

Note that the PMT result and principal must have opposite signs (positive v. negative). The choice of sign is arbitrary. I choose for the PMT result to be positive. So the principal must be negative: -32,500,000 instead of 32,500,000.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back